Pregnant rescue cat with diarrhea

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I picked up a foster cat a week ago. It was quickly apparent that she was pregnant. I'm not sure how far along. But I think around 6 weeks but she may be more. I can feel kitten movement. She developed diarrhea today and is sleeping a lot. She's acting ok other than that. She's still purring, eating and drinking. Is diarrhea normal at the end of pregnancy?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is, but usually the last week of pregnancy. I wonder since you can feel movement if she is further along than you think. Did the shelter from whom you are fostering not have an idea of a timeline? It can be difficult to know without an x-ray. You’ve had her for a week - how long have you seen or felt kitten movement? It is possible that her body is preparing for labor. Do you have a nest set up and supplies on hand?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is, but usually the last week of pregnancy. I wonder since you can feel movement if she is further along than you think. Did the shelter from whom you are fostering not have an idea of a timeline? It can be difficult to know without an x-ray. You’ve had her for a week - how long have you seen or felt kitten movement? It is possible that her body is preparing for labor. Do you have a nest set up and supplies on hand?

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking she may be further along. The shelter didn't say she was pregnant. But I don't think she was handled much. She was in the shelter at least 3 weeks. So she's a minimum of 4 weeks and a maximum of....full term. I've felt movement since we got her. So maybe she's 8 weeks

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor thing! It does sound like she was overlooked at the shelter. So glad you’ve got her now - a calico at that! I love calicos!

She may just have an upset tummy if she seems fine otherwise. It can happen once in awhile. Let’s see how she is over the next 24 hours. In the meantime, make sure you are prepared for kittens and we are here for all your questions. 😊

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor thing! It does sound like she was overlooked at the shelter. So glad you’ve got her now - a calico at that! I love calicos!

She may just have an upset tummy if she seems fine otherwise. It can happen once in awhile. Let’s see how she is over the next 24 hours. In the meantime, make sure you are prepared for kittens and we are here for all your questions. 😊
Thanks so much! I have kitten formula, a kitten bottle, a few different boxes and crates for birthing. What else do I need?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful! Have towels on hand and dental floss in case you need to tie off a cord. Pick up a 1-2 mL syringe at a pharmacy. If you need to supplement, not all tiny kittens will take a bottle and a syringe is easier in those cases. It sounds like you are fairly well prepared!

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful! Have towels on hand and dental floss in case you need to tie off a cord. Pick up a 1-2 mL syringe at a pharmacy. If you need to supplement, not all tiny kittens will take a bottle and a syringe is easier in those cases. It sounds like you are fairly well prepared!
Luckily I have a ton of syringes left over from kitten medications. I've fostered lots of kittens but I haven't done a mama in over a decade 😊

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm seeing that there appears to be milk under one nipple today. Does that help guess the timeline?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, cats are usually within a week or so of giving birth when you begin to see milk dots or dried milk on nipples. Sounds like she’s getting there!

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats are usually within a week or so of giving birth when you begin to see milk dots or dried milk on nipples. Sounds like she’s getting there!
There is fullness under the nipple. I'm not seeing any milk dripping yet.

Kellym9999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I found a couple wet spots on the bed and floor. She's not really acting like shes in labor. She had a hard time standing up but she's eating and walking fine now. Could that be her water breaking?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be. Is she laboring yet? She certainly sounds like she is getting close.