Pregnant ragdoll and don't know the estimated due date

Catnip29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I adopted a 2-year-old ragdoll cat on March 5th from a shelter. She's an indoor cat and doesn't go out at all so no opportunity to meet other cats. Last Saturday I took her to the vet for the first time for a basic check-up and turns out she's pregnant! And expecting 7!! This is my first cat so I had no idea about symptoms or belly increase, I just thought I was overfeeding her and she was just getting fat. So our assumption is that she got pregnant before the previous owners dropped her at the shelter but the Vet couldn't tell me exactly what week she's in right now. From all I've read online so far, I would say she's on week 7? But I'm not sure. I'm attaching pictures I took of her last night. Please, could you help me estimate how many weeks or days left she has?

P.S. she got her belly shaved for the ultrasound

Thank you!

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I adopted a 2-year-old ragdoll cat on March 5th from a shelter. She's an indoor cat and doesn't go out at all so no opportunity to meet other cats. Last Saturday I took her to the vet for the first time for a basic check-up and turns out she's pregnant! And expecting 7!! This is my first cat so I had no idea about symptoms or belly increase, I just thought I was overfeeding her and she was just getting fat. So our assumption is that she got pregnant before the previous owners dropped her at the shelter but the Vet couldn't tell me exactly what week she's in right now. From all I've read online so far, I would say she's on week 7? But I'm not sure. I'm attaching pictures I took of her last night. Please, could you help me estimate how many weeks or days left she has?

P.S. she got her belly shaved for the ultrasound

Thank you!
I don’t know when she would be due but gestation is usually 8-9 weeks I think. So if she is 7 weeks it could be soon. She looks huge. How odd the shelter had no clue she is pregnant and did not spay before adoption. Most do for adults and kittens too now.
Here is a link, give her kitten food for now and set up a box in a warm room for her.

Understanding the signs and stages of pregnancy and advice on caring for your pregnant queen | MedicAnimal.com

She is gorgeous 😻

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pregnancy runs 63-68 days. An x-ray would allow a vet to give you an estimated gestational age of the kittens.

Seven is too many and you’ll likely have a couple of runts. Buy a can of powdered kitten formula (PetAg, Royal Canin) and pick up 1-2mL needleless syringes at a pharmacy. You may need to supplement the runts. Miracle Nipples work well with syringes also.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catnip29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t know when she would be due but gestation is usually 8-9 weeks I think. So if she is 7 weeks it could be soon. She looks huge. How odd the shelter had no clue she is pregnant and did not spay before adoption. Most do for adults and kittens too now.
Here is a link, give her kitten food for now and set up a box in a warm room for her.

Understanding the signs and stages of pregnancy and advice on caring for your pregnant queen | MedicAnimal.com

She is gorgeous 😻
thank you for the link! I'll check it out!. The shelter got her two days prior I went to adopt her and they didn't tell me that. They also said it's not their responsibility to run a basic check-up on the animals they receive, which I think is quite irresponsible. I asked though about spaying her and they said they don't do that, that I should take care of it. So when I took her to the vet was to spay her and there we found out she was expecting. I never had a cat before so I didn't know and couldn't image that she was already pregnant

Catnip29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pregnancy runs 63-68 days. An x-ray would allow a vet to give you an estimated gestational age of the kittens.

Seven is too many and you’ll likely have a couple of runts. Buy a can of powdered kitten formula (PetAg, Royal Canin) and pick up 1-2mL needleless syringes at a pharmacy. You may need to supplement the runts. Miracle Nipples work well with syringes also.
I know it's too many. That worries me a lot. Thank you for the advice! Very helpful!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for the link! I'll check it out!. The shelter got her two days prior I went to adopt her and they didn't tell me that. They also said it's not their responsibility to run a basic check-up on the animals they receive, which I think is quite irresponsible. I asked though about spaying her and they said they don't do that, that I should take care of it. So when I took her to the vet was to spay her and there we found out she was expecting. I never had a cat before so I didn't know and couldn't image that she was already pregnant
yw 😀
Wow, that shelter is very irresponsible. Those are all things shelters normally do, especially a health check first themselves to see if a cat is spayed/ neutered and has any health issues. Plenty of people would return a kitty they received from a shelter who was un spayed and turned out to be pregnant. It seems like a complaint is in order. Imo, they should help out with medical costs and finding homes for the kittens if you need help.

Anyway you are doing a great job, I hope your dvm is helping you with advice as well. 😀
If you are going to adopt out the kittens please make sure they are spayed / neutered first- best- or have adopters sign a contract that requires spay / neuter by x date and that it will be followed up. The shelter should offer to have them fixed at no or low cost for adopters.

Last edited:

Catnip29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I complained but they said it was not their responsibility at all, once I adopted her and not even before that. Anyway, she didn't have the kittens yet. Also, I could confirm though that this is her second pregnancy. =)