Pregnant queen losing brown fluid for 4 days but no contractions.

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try to make this as brief as I can so if it feels rushed I apologise.
I had a new adult queen come to me 3 almost 4 weeks ago who we recently found out was pregnant when she arrived, and ready to give birth any day.

After extensive conversation with her breeder we have worked out that she was likely mated around 12th Sept making her approx day 65 now. I had no idea she was pregnant until she had settled in, finished her quarantine and then trusted me enough to expose her tummy (or, more specifically, nipples) because she is only carrying one kitten (first suspected but then ultrasound confirmed) and, as such, doesn't look pregnant at all.

3-4 days ago I noticed she was losing her mucous plug and expected things to move along quickly thereafter but instead, despite a lot of nesting behaviours, nothing ever established. This afternoon I found brown discharge on the floor, too liquid to be her plug and like nothing I've come across on the lead up to labour so, of course, I got her to the vet right away for a health check and scan.

She is now on antibiotics to prevent infection as baby was wriggling away with a strong heartbeat and at no stage has she shown any concerning behavioural changes all of which is reassuring but has anyone ever experienced anything like this, where their cat was losing brown mucousy fluid for a number of days prior to labour? What was the outcome? Is it true that there is more discharge with singletons?

I am currently on the couch and have been for days, staying with her but every time she seems like she might be getting ready she just settles back down and sleeps. I am so underslept and blindsided by everything that's happened as it was out of nowhere and very fast that I feel I can't trust my own judgement due to secondary anxiety. Any input is greatly appreciated xx

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know anything about her reproductive history? Is this her first litter?

Is she still having discharge, or has it stopped?

If she were my cat, I would do just as you already did (take her to be checked and have a scan), and then I would wait and see for 24 hours and re-evaluate. Try to get some sleep, it definitely doesn't help anxiety when you are sleep deprived!

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try to make this as brief as I can so if it feels rushed I apologise.
I had a new adult queen come to me 3 almost 4 weeks ago who we recently found out was pregnant when she arrived, and ready to give birth any day.

After extensive conversation with her breeder we have worked out that she was likely mated around 12th Sept making her approx day 65 now. I had no idea she was pregnant until she had settled in, finished her quarantine and then trusted me enough to expose her tummy (or, more specifically, nipples) because she is only carrying one kitten (first suspected but then ultrasound confirmed) and, as such, doesn't look pregnant at all.

3-4 days ago I noticed she was losing her mucous plug and expected things to move along quickly thereafter but instead, despite a lot of nesting behaviours, nothing ever established. This afternoon I found brown discharge on the floor, too liquid to be her plug and like nothing I've come across on the lead up to labour so, of course, I got her to the vet right away for a health check and scan.

She is now on antibiotics to prevent infection as baby was wriggling away with a strong heartbeat and at no stage has she shown any concerning behavioural changes all of which is reassuring but has anyone ever experienced anything like this, where their cat was losing brown mucousy fluid for a number of days prior to labour? What was the outcome? Is it true that there is more discharge with singletons?

I am currently on the couch and have been for days, staying with her but every time she seems like she might be getting ready she just settles back down and sleeps. I am so underslept and blindsided by everything that's happened as it was out of nowhere and very fast that I feel I can't trust my own judgement due to secondary anxiety. Any input is greatly appreciated xx
when my cats had given birth before, I had 1 momma that had a little brown discharge probably about 2 days before giving birth. But the main thing I would do for her is to make sure she has food and water nearby and just keep on close eye on her. But I wouldn’t worry too much, if she still hasn’t progressed in a week then I would take her to the vet again to get another checkup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know anything about her reproductive history? Is this her first litter?

Is she still having discharge, or has it stopped?

If she were my cat, I would do just as you already did (take her to be checked and have a scan), and then I would wait and see for 24 hours and re-evaluate. Try to get some sleep, it definitely doesn't help anxiety when you are sleep deprived!
First litter, discharge has eased a lot today after 3 doses of antibiotic and she has been obsessively grooming while she's awake. She's also now passed some clear to pink jelly and earlier today really looked like her waters were bulging but then it disappeared back inside and there's been no action since. I have heard singletons can have a longer gestation period but the amount of times it's seemed she was imminent and it's come to nothing is quite unprecedented 😂 she is still eating, drinking, grooming and baby feels like it may have moved but I can still pick up activity. Just so worried and getting strung out.

I have another queen due any time who's huge and also hasn't gone into labour yet (both are on approx day 66) so it's not the time it's taking so much as all the apparent mucous plug loss and nesting behaviours in my new queen which are making me twitchy xxx

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the date is what is bothering you, it's normal for babies to be born any time up to day 70. After day 70 is when I start to worry.

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the date is what is bothering you, it's normal for babies to be born any time up to day 70. After day 70 is when I start to worry.
It's less the date and more the discharge/plug loss and how her waters seemed to be bulging earlier. I have attached a photo of what I saw around 4 hours ago. Her waters didn't go, but it just looked so much like something was happening, she started grooming compulsively to the point her nipples actually look quite sore now because she was shaved for her scan and then she just settled down and went back to sleep xx

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It's less the date and more the discharge/plug loss and how her waters seemed to be bulging earlier. I have attached a photo of what I saw around 4 hours ago. Her waters didn't go, but it just looked so much like something was happening, she started grooming compulsively to the point her nipples actually look quite sore now because she was shaved for her scan and then she just settled down and went back to sleep xx
That definitely looks like the amniotic sac, but it hasn't ruptured yet, so I think you can just wait for now. Once her water breaks she'll need to deliver within a few hours to reduce the chances of an infection or a "dry" birth.

I've only witnessed one cat birth and one dog birth, but I've seen/assisted hundreds of human births as a nurse. Each kitten has its own amniotic sac, so with a singleton kitten its easier to tell what's going on.

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We finally have our baby! A little boy delivered safely at midday. He is not a great latcher but is taking bottles well so I am hopeful he will build his strength and work it out as others have done before him.
Meet Santino 😍

Attachments