Pregnant & Not Eating...

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry this ended up to be so long, but from what you posted, I wanted to share some of what I've learned over time and from my experiences with you. Maybe you could use some of it to help her along.

Mom, it sounds to me like she might be more pregnant than the vet thought too. You're only really talking the difference of a week, and the fact that she has so many kittens might cause her to have an early labor if her body can't sustain it.

You also mentioned that the dog was there, are there a lot of animals in the house? Is the dog usually where she is? Even though a cat might be used to other animals, if she is pregnant, that can change things. Cats will keep themselves from giving birth if they feel they can't do it safely, or the kittens might be in danger, and you can't put it past a pregnant cat to begin to think that another famliar family pet is suddenly a threat to her kittens. Not to her, but to her kittens.

If there is another animal around wherever she is most of the time, and she is exhibiting the signs you describe, I would strongly suggest keeping her away from the others at this point as much as humanly possible. Keep the dog and/or other cats out of the computer room if she's in there with you, or keep her in another room with the door locked, not to keep her in so much, but to keep the others out.

Sounds to me like she might be exhibiting signs of oncoming labor, and if that is the case, you want to make sure she has a safe nest to go to without any other animals around 24/7 at this point, even if they are different nests. Just a safe place as an option at all times.

I also want to caution you that if there's a possibiltily she may have more than six kittens, when she does give birth, please watch over them carefully (not intercede at first, but just watch).

It is not unknown for a cat who has more kittens than she can physically care for to not only abandon a healthy kitten or two, but to even kill them to ensure that the kittens left will get what they need from her. Cats would rather have enough milk and energy for the kittens they have, than to spread themselves, and their milk and nipples, out too thin.

So if you see her not caring for one or two, or possibly doing something that might be dangerous to the kitten, this is the one instance (and you've probably read how I feel about this), this would be the one instance I would say get that kitten away from her (assuming it's healthy and not being singled out for having a congenital abnormality) and raise that kitten by hand, at least for a few days to see if Mom will take it back. Maybe after a couple of days you could try to "trick" skittles by putting that kitten to her while the others are asleep just so she can get some of the antibodies she needs from Mom.

Hopefully this will not happen, but I think it's a good thing to know about just in case.

What I've read is that any more than 6 kittens can be too much for a cat to handle physically, so you need to be very careful, and have the wisdom of Solomon as far as when to intercede and help, and when not to. Again, you must have seen I rarely suggest this, but in a case where there are so many kittens fighting for Mom, you may need to help supplement them once a day or so with KMR. I just ask you please be very hestitant, and make the decision to do so only if you feel it is absolutely necessary.

I had to do that with the first litter I ever helped with, since the cat had 7 kittens (6 lived, one had congenital defects), and the mom had been literally starved almost to death when she showed up at my door.

But as I usually advise people, when and if you step in, do it as a grandmother, not a mother
They are, after all, her kittens, and you want to help, not take over.

As far as her not eating, one thing you might try to get some nourishment into her is get some meat baby food (you know the drill -- no onions lol) and actually hand feed it to her by putting some on your finger and letting her lick it off, a little at a time. I've found that often that little bit of pampering and one-on-one affectionate attention, especially if you're talking to them calmy and affectionately, can calm them and get them to eat sometimes, especially if they're feeling crappy.

Also, if she'll let you, try this while she's lying near you. Put your thumb and first fingers on either side of her spine near her tail, gently, Then massage her gently using clockwise circles, one at a time, moving up her spine to her neck. Then pet her from the tail to the neck in one stroke, (the fur going in opposite directions than it grows is soothing, like a massage to them), then back.

She may or may not like it, but if she does, it will probably sooth her discomfort and will be calming to her. My cats purr like a buzz saw and stretch their little heads in ecstacy when I do this to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do massage her like that she loves it to death.... Also her and the dog are on seperate sides of the house. The dog doesnt go down the backside and Skittles loves my room so she has all the rooms in the house and bathroom dog has the kitchen and livingroom computer. I currently work on my laptop and I go around with her. She will hope the gate at times to sit with the dog but it is on her own terms and the dog is 100% ok with it. SKittles is the queen of this house she rules the dog and the kids. I only have 2 pets. I do not plan to interfer unless she needs me to. I feel mother is the best.