Pregnant mother

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Fannycaddy - I am not sure if I mentioned this but when I took the mother to the Vet they tested her for everything and said she had Hookworms - they gave her medication and I have to bring her back in a week to get the last medication. The med should go through her breast milk and cure the kittens if they have it but I'm going to get them check too when they get a little older. Other than that the vet said she was in excellent shape - she had some weight on her and looked good - and she does when she is laying down but when she stands up all that fat hangs down and she looks so slender (looking down on her) I think she just has that lanky alley cat body...
I will post more pics as thier eyes open more. My camera's batteries died while I was taking them last night...

maggpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dixie:
I have read all the posts, and I am glad you took in a stray kitty to help her out. If your state says that you can release the kittens at 8 weeks - than feel free to do so. Just make sure that the kittens are healthy, using the litter box, eating solid foods, and are developmentally up to par. There is no requirement to keep kittens until 12 weeks - it's your choice. Don't listen to a thing mando says-he/she's out of line. Alot of people on this site will try to force opinions on you as if they are right. Not true. My advice to you is to keep your head up, give your kitties lots of love and attention, do the best you can and do what is best for your situation.

dixie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Maggpie. Thank for the encouragement. I am really enjoying the kittens - they sure do have that stray allycat long nose face that only a mother could love but I think they are beautiful

I am going to keep posting pics as they get older. I have been talking to everyone I know to see if they want some kittens but after I tell them they won't be ready for a while people tend to tell me no - I think that kittens are so much a dime a dozen here that people don't want to wait cause they can get one anywhere at anytime. Oh well, when it's time I will find them good homes.
Thanks again to everyone who has been so kind to me.:flower:

fancycaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats everywhere Dixie but please becareful who you allow to have them. Make sure these people plan on spaying or neutering them. Thanks Kimberly

leviugga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AWWWWWWWW ...I mean what else needs to be said??

I am baby sitting my friends persian whilst she is in France for two weeks. We were worried she would have her babies when she was away and sure enough she did.

I got her on Saturday and Saturday nigh/Sunday Morning I was deliverin kittens all night. All healthy and lively little buggers. Vet says they are all doing fine and the mother is just awesome. This gives me alot of practice for when Bramble has hers.

Take Care
Aubs XxxX

misha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm all for keeping kittens until they're 12 weeks of age for numerous reasons including the fact that the breeder can desex the kittens before they go to their new home, the kittens will have had 2 shots & they have had lots of time to spend with their mum & siblings. Kittens learn so much from their mum & siblings.

However, out of the 8 cats I have...4 came to live me between 6-8 weeks. The cat I got at 6 weeks does have some behavioural problems & I definitely don't recommend you let them leave their mum so young. The cats I got at 8 weeks of age are fine. People cannot make sweeping statements saying that if you let them go at 8 weeks they will end up with behavioural problems, that is just NOT true. But, I agree with Hissy, 12 weeks is better than 8 weeks.

I also have to disagree with the statement that "you" got the cat pregnant. No, you took the cat in & cared for her & what you did was extremely kind & generous, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Good luck with your cat & kittens, I hope you will find them all a wonderful home. It would be great if they could leave with at least one vaccination, and please ensure they're going to go to homes where they'll be desexed. I'm utterly against the irresponsible breeding of cats, but this isn't your fault, you have worked hard to fix a sad situation. Good for you!!!

Julia.

dixie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - I just wanted to let you know that I was going to take some pictures tonight of the babies. They have gotten so big - they walk (well sometimes well) and they are starting to play. They each have such different personalities... I will post tomorrow...
Dixie