Pregnant Mama Cat Suddenly Friendly

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pregnant mama has been hissing at her few months old kitten - even swat and yell at her at some point, for about a month now up till last night.

Suddenly this morning she seemed to be affectionate with her older kitten again, licking her and sitting in a box together with her, like nothing happened.

Should I be concerned for the safety of the kitten? Why the sudden change of behavior?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It is common for mother cats to push their kittens away to get them to stop nursing. But has pregnant Mama been spayed yet? If not she could be in heat or already pregnant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panda.bear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is common for mother cats to push their kittens away to get them to stop nursing. But has pregnant Mama been spayed yet? If not she could be in heat or already pregnant
she is currently heavily pregnant and she has pushed away this kitten by hissing, yelling and swatting her for the past one month. today she's all affectionate and licking the grown up one again.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like mama kitty's hormones are switching into "birthing time" mode....if the older kitten is sexually mature, monitoring his behavior around the babies is important. If the new arrivals have a different father, they will smell differently and he might attack them in the first week or so. (Cats and dogs ovulate after mating so the babies can be conceived at different times as well as have different fathers).
I would start mama kitty on her good quality kitten chow as well as give her KMR (even for the moms, I use goat milk based formulas, either by Esbilac or the recipe at www.kitten-rescue .com).
Please keep us updated! :cheerleader::vibes::grouphug: