pregnant kitty help

girlieq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're having problems getting her to eat the new food, don't switch abruptly. Mix in a bit of the stuff she was eating before with the new stuff, and gradually increase the percentage of new stuff in it.

And I totally understand about not paying for really expensive food. I feed my kittens Eukanoba (and the second half of that looks wrong... ). It's high quality enough that their coats are shiny and they're active and healthy. I also leave enough out during the day that their bowl isn't ever empty. Rowan, my former stray, used to gorge himself every time he saw the bowl, but he realized pretty quickly that there was always going to be food, so he stopped. He's actually a lot skinnier than Bella, who has never missed a meal.

And if you're worried about the kittens, you might want to build some 'ladders' for her to get to her high places more easily. I moved recently, so I have a lot of boxes that I pile up, kind of like a pyramid, so that the kittens don't have to jump so far to get up to the windows (I'm in a basement, so the windows are about 5' up). You could probably find something more classy, but I know how worrying cats can be with all of their jumping around (Rowan especially seems to need the ladders, as he's a total clutz and misses about 1/4 of the time when he's trying to jump somewhere).

And don't let the folks here convince you to spay while the mother is still pregnant if you don't want to.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes- I agree with swiching the food slowly! For some reason Zakk hated the Iams kitten dry when we switched him- he slowly accepted it. The kittens came eating kitten chow, and I am slowly mixing with Nutro. This was almost 3 weeks ago now, and I still have 1/4 bag chow and 1/2 bag nutro..
Then I have to send Jelly to new home with som of what he has been eating so the new owner can switch him slowly over to whatever. My cats will eat any cat food as long as it has been mixed in gradually. Good luck with your kittens and enjoy the experience, however it may have happened.
I would switch vets too! It might be worth traveling up to 1/2 hour more.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel pressured to spay a preggers cat. If you are willing to foster her and care for her, it is totally your choice. But I do think it is important to know that it is an option!

There are certainly more risks with a litter of kittens for a cat who is young, not up on her shots, and has been underfed (before you rescued her). But that is what cat rescue is all about. I love fostering the preggers girls and their babies! But everyone should be aware that spay is also an option. Not everyone has the ability or desire to foster through the kitten stage.

Another benefit of being affilitated with a rescue organization is that they often help pay for the vet care, and they definitely help get the babies adopted out. It may be worth it for you to try to contact your local organizations and see if they will help you as you foster this cat. (They always need foster homes!)

If you decide to keep the pregnancy, TCS is a good place for info.