Pregnant foster with a hard belly

mbyrne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a foster for a local humane society and I've never fostered a pregnant mom and am kinda freaking out. She was surrendered and was an outside kitty and is about 10 months old. She was given shots and the vet told me she thought she would go into labor that day. She said she would have the kittens in at the most one week. It has been 2 weeks now and has not delivered. She is very comfortable in our home now but this am she started crying and wouldn't stop which is unlike her. I've laid with her all afternoon and now her belly is extremely hard but there are no contractions but she won't eat and doesn't move from her nest. I know she is probably about to go into labor but I've been laying in the room with her for a week thinking she would go into labor so should I stay with her tonight? Does this mean she will have them tonight or could it still be a few days??

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she may go into labor soon! My pregnant foster rarely gets up from sleeping in her nest-only to eat and use the litter box. Her crying could just be because she is restless and uncomfortable. A firm belly is normal :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
    Any updates on your foster kitty????   I am concerned that she could have hypocalcemia and needs a vet's attention urgently!!   I lost a former feral cat and her symptoms were the same as your foster kitty's.  Cats normally don't cry during labor and the stiffness might be her muscles contracting as part of the hypocalcemia. Since you haven't posted anywhere else, I am worried.....I am also trying to "bump" this thread since this is kitten season and there are a lot of feral/stray cats out there who are in danger of this condition (as well as many other illnesses and potentially fatal conditions). 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbyrne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey sorry!! She had the babies that night and everything went perfectly! She's been checked out by the humane society vet and everything is perfect!! We have four adorable little boys! Thanks for all the help!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I am thrilled to see the happy update!!! Congratulations and bless you for giving that little mama kitty refuge - it's hard life for a little mama cat without a good home.