Pregnant foster - when will she deliver?

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’m fostering a pregnant cat for my local rescue. She came to us as a stray that someone found and looked very pregnant when I took her in on July 18th - pic below.
EEED1625-1977-447B-A255-3627FDB2ED30.jpeg

She came to me with a large belly and swollen pink nipples. She warmed up immediately and wants constant attention. The first time I felt the babies what around July 23rd, as this is the first time I had a good chance to feel her belly.
We have been anticipating babies since her first day with us due to her belly size (our neonate expert told us to be ready that week!) but she is yet to deliver as of today! Currently she looks like this:

A465AFB0-6D19-4008-9BE9-E9B9C1B1E2B9.jpeg

She is occasionally licking at her stomach and genitals and digging in her bed. She spends most of the day laying around looking uncomfortable. Her milk hasn’t come in yet, but I know that’s typical. Any ideas on how long until she delivers?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to foster this beautiful little lady for your local rescue organization.
I'm going to take a guess and say that since she is digging in her box (sounds like she is nesting) it shouldn't be too long now I am going to guess within the week maybe... like I said this is just my best guess as I know nothing about her. Again thank you so much for opening your home to this little lady and the kittens to come. Will you please provide updates on her progress?
Good luck I hope everything goes smoothly when momma goes into labor 😺 ❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My goodness! She sure looks young. She reminds me of the pregnant stray I took in some years back. Here is what her belly looked like the day before she gave birth to four healthy kittens, all of whom I kept and are now 8 years old:
CA856394-3507-4366-8107-AB9B588F0509.jpeg

It’s a waiting game. Cat pregnancy averages 63-68 days. Your foster will have them when her body is ready. I had an x-ray done on my stray, and vet said 4 kittens in 7-10 days. She had all four 12 days later.

Your stray is very pretty and looks happy and comfortable. She may have a week or more left. Thank you for fostering and do keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The waiting game is never fun, especielly as you cant have any knowledge when she mated nor when her nipples become rosa.

They usually do drop shortly before delivery; ie seems suddenly less preg... This is a good occasion to get another count, If so, its 1-2 days left.

The problem is, not all cats drop... As said, its a waiting game, not fun.

See it so: cats (kittens) manage too early deliveries much worse than humans.. but tends to manage a too long pregnancy better...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My goodness! She sure looks young. She reminds me of the pregnant stray I took in some years back. Here is what her belly looked like the day before she gave birth to four healthy kittens, all of whom I kept and are now 8 years old:
View attachment 455870
It’s a waiting game. Cat pregnancy averages 63-68 days. Your foster will have them when her body is ready. I had an x-ray done on my stray, and vet said 4 kittens in 7-10 days. She had all four 12 days later.

Your stray is very pretty and looks happy and comfortable. She may have a week or more left. Thank you for fostering and do keep us posted!
The waiting game is never fun, especielly as you cant have any knowledge when she mated nor when her nipples become rosa.

They usually do drop shortly before delivery; ie seems suddenly less preg... This is a good occasion to get another count, If so, its 1-2 days left.

The problem is, not all cats drop... As said, its a waiting game, not fun.

See it so: cats (kittens) manage too early deliveries much worse than humans.. but tends to manage a too long pregnancy better...
Update for today!
No babies yet but I’m suspicious that she’s dropped. This is her belly today:

image.jpg

which looks much less rounded than yesterday (as seen in my original post).
Fingers crossed we meet her kittens soon!

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like labor has begun this evening. My girl (her name is Sprinkles, by the way! A little girl found her :)) has been antsy this evening, looking around for a good spot and thwaping her tail. When I went to check on her, her breathing was super rapid. She’s resting now but I think we’ll have babies in the next day!

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
More Updates! She rested well last night and was very hungry for breakfast. Unfortunately she's started nesting in her litter box, so hopefully I can prevent delivery in there. She's resting again today, lots of laying on her side and trying to sleep.

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well friends, it looks like we got tricked! No babies yet. I think the previous "labor" was braxton hicks contractions. Any idea of when to get concerned? This girl is HUGE!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well friends, it looks like we got tricked! No babies yet. I think the previous "labor" was braxton hicks contractions. Any idea of when to get concerned? This girl is HUGE!
If BH so its several days more... nearing but not yet there...

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to update everyone that we still don’t have kittens! My rescue wants to bring her into the vet if she doesn’t have them by midweek just to check that everything is okay. Judging by her size when she was brought to me, she’s likely entering her tenth week of pregnancy soon.

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have babies! Mom gave birth via C section today around noon. She had 9 babies in her with 7 surviving. The vet thinks mom conceived the other two later and it threw her body off from knowing when to deliver.
After several hours of ignoring the babies, mom is cuddling and cleaning but doesn’t have milk yet to feed the babies. For now I’m bottle feeding everyone. All but 3 are under 100g with the two white ones weighing 70 and 62 grams. It’s gonna be an uphill battle for these little ones!
5A24273A-0F21-4090-A28A-321D0CCCDC57.jpeg

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry the 2 kittens didn't make it. What made momma have to have a c-section? How do the kittens nurse without hurting her c section incision?
I am so glad her and the 7 kittens that made it are doing well though. Congratulations little lady on your beautiful little babies!!!
I wouldn't be able to foster lol I would wind up keeping everyone ❤😺😺❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom wasn’t “ignoring” her babies. She was coming out of anesthesia and feeling pain from her major surgery. Even if ALL her kittens made it, she would need help for a few days during her C-section recovery. Do they have mom on pain meds? She needs them for 3 days post-surgery — regardless if she is nursing.

I’m curious too why she was given a C-section. Was she in distress and unable to deliver despite pushing?

Nine kittens is a huge litter, and with 2 deceased, and all but 3 under 100 grams, they sound a few days premature to me. With two weighing 70 and 62 grams, you’ll have a challenge keeping these alive.

What brand formula are you using? How often and how much are you feeding? Are you using Miracle Nipples or syringe feeding? Are you feeding around the clock? Have you done this before?

J Jamienoelle

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom was given a C section because her body wasn’t doing anything to prepare for labor and it was getting dangerous for her! Her breathing was regularly elevated and she wasn’t putting on the weight she needed to after being a stray. Mom is on pain meds and doing well. I’m currently using petAg KMR and syringe feeding ever 2 hours. The babies have been taking between 2-4 mls at each feeding. Yes, I’m feeding around the clock.

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately we've lost 4 kittens in the past 2 days. We're realizing there are some neurological issues (lots of tremors) with this litter so it isn't surprising, but still heartbreaking. The remaining three are grumpy and fussy but strong. This litter just isn't syringe feeding well so we have resorted to tube feeding as needed. I have hope for the remaining kittens but its going to be a really long hard few weeks.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no... I'm so sorry about the kittens that passed away.. it is very heartbreaking. How is momma cat dealing with the loss of the kittens? Just know you guys are doing what you can for the kittens and the momma cat. It's so sad that they had neurological issues. Have any of the remaining 3 showed any signs of the same issues? I know tube feeding has gotta be rough. Are they not nursing at all on their momma?
You guys are doing all you can try to stay positive.

Jamienoelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no... I'm so sorry about the kittens that passed away.. it is very heartbreaking. How is momma cat dealing with the loss of the kittens? Just know you guys are doing what you can for the kittens and the momma cat. It's so sad that they had neurological issues. Have any of the remaining 3 showed any signs of the same issues? I know tube feeding has gotta be rough. Are they not nursing at all on their momma?
You guys are doing all you can try to stay positive.
We haven't seen any major neurological issues in these 3 but time will tell. We aren't sure if mom is making any milk, but either way the babies aren't interested in nursing. Mom had separated the babies that passed from the rest of the litter multiple times throughout the day and night... she knew something was up and seems to be doing well with cuddling and cleaning the remaining three.
I'm feeling very grateful that I know how to tube feed right now - these babies are just not eating well. The other bottle feeder at my rescue took them for a few days to let me get some sleep. I'm cautiously optimistic and tired. Keep these little ones in your thoughts :)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't seen any major neurological issues in these 3 but time will tell. We aren't sure if mom is making any milk, but either way the babies aren't interested in nursing. Mom had separated the babies that passed from the rest of the litter multiple times throughout the day and night... she knew something was up and seems to be doing well with cuddling and cleaning the remaining three.
I'm feeling very grateful that I know how to tube feed right now - these babies are just not eating well. The other bottle feeder at my rescue took them for a few days to let me get some sleep. I'm cautiously optimistic and tired. Keep these little ones in your thoughts :)
I'm glad you had some help from someone else affiliated with the rescue so you could get some sleep. It's good that momma is taking care of the remaining three, cuddling and cleaning them. I'm glad that they have you. I know it is exhausting if you can try to sleep in between feedings? Also, make sure you are eating as well. And I will definitely keep them and you in my thoughts and prayers.