Pregnant foster mommy cat

Eloise613

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!!! I picked up a pregnant mama from our local shelter on Friday. They told me she is due in 2 weeks which would put her at Thanksgiving weekend. Are the estimates usually accurate?

she’s eating and I’m giving her lots of food. The girl can EAT! She eats like 5 cups of dry a day and I’ve been giving her fancy feast kitten and Royal Canin mama and babycat food.

she’s in our spare bedroom and keeps trying to open the closet and I don’t want her to get any ideas about giving birth in there LOL. I have 3 boxes with blankets set up and a cat bed and this morning she just started hiding in the boxes.

I’m not an expert. I have had plenty of nursing mama cats but this is my first pregnant mama and I’m not sure what to expect! She’s very affectionate and purrs constantly when I’m in the room but doesn’t like her belly touched. I can’t really feel kittens moving but I don’t know what to look for. I thought I felt movement once but I try not to touch her belly.

is there anything else I should be doing / feeding / etc? Can she have goat milk or is that not necessary?

I will keep you updated on her progress. Here’s some pics.
68444638-863E-49BB-A379-C6B240595AB1.jpeg
E8C8E22D-4CCD-4448-862E-85699E36BC78.jpeg
F0C80E4E-B51B-4BC6-A453-D861FE504259.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s beautiful! Thank you for giving her a place to have her kittens outside the shelter.

I would guess a vet has checked her and set an estimated due date. It’s very difficult to know precisely.

She’s eating loads because she needs the nutrition to support her babies. Yes, goat’s milk will provide her with the extra calcium she needs now through nursing. It’s good to have on hand in case a kitten needs supplemental feeding as well.

Have you checked out our articles?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Keep us posted! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving her a home, you are an angel!
It is a good idea to give goats milk and also kitten food, which is higher in calories and nutrition, especially for nursing moms. She will get bigger as her time gets closer, but she looks very young, so most likely won't have a big litter, probably around three. It's very hard to guess when labour will start, even when you are pretty sure when conception took place. She will 'drop' close to her time, when the babies all line up for the birth canal and she will look smaller. Licking her privates is a good indicator too that birthing is getting close. All the luck to you, keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eloise613

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: OMG she showed no signs of labor but is in labor this morning! She didn’t pant or lick herself or stop eating. She ate until the very end! I knew something was off because I tried to pet her and she meowed loudly.

she has 2 kittens out and they’re doing beautifully so far. She cleaned them up well and they’re nursing on her. She’s not contracting so I gave her some wet food and she ate about half but is still purring loudly . She didn’t want water. I left her in peace.

is it possible there will be more kittens? When do I know to change the bedding? I’m so anxious I feel like it’s me giving birth!

I will keep you all updated!