Pregnant Foster Kitten

bryzzo44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here. This place looks like such a good resource though. I was referred by a fellow foster on Instagram. I pulled a 4-5 month Tortie girl that was on the Euthanize list from Animal Control yesterday, and today, I noticed she is likely pregnant.

I'm active in the foster cats community on IG, so I know that young kittens having babies is not a good thing, but my rescue does not believe in spay/abort and I don't necessarily either. In her case, I am on the line, because she is so young.

What I am asking now though is, what can I do to help her, get ready, as far as nourishment. I know that she won't have an easy time, being so young and I want to help her.

Thank you for any advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy, if she’s really that young she should be spayed. I’m surprised that your rescue is against it. I support it up to the halfway point in the pregnancy.

Can you post a picture of her? What are her pregnancy symptoms?

She needs dry kitten chow available 24/7 and wet food meals 3-4 times a day, as much as she wants to eat. Is the rescue providing food or are you?

See that she gets wormed and flea treated, but no vaccines while pregnant.

Thanks for pulling her. What is her name?

We’ll be here to support you! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bryzzo44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, and yes, I would be all for spaying, as young as she is. I think she's still pretty early too. But, yes, we wormed her today. Her name is Ruby, and she is super sweet, with a bit of tortitude. The picture holding her up is the one I sent my coordinator. Does she look pregnant to you too?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping kitten kibble available 24/7 is a good start. Even if she is not pregnant. As you probably know, cats take at least a year to reach adulthood. So they need the extra nutrition provided by kitten food until they are adult. They are growing plus are generally much more active than adult cats. Plus some daily kitten tinned food be good for her.

Keep us informed as to how she is going. and thankyou for the rescue! I, also am staff for a Tortie.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s a very sweet-looking kitten! I love torties!

It’s hard to tell if she’s pregnant from the photos. Can you get one of her from above when she is standing so we can see how her sides look?

And, as stated, if she’s not pregnant, she still needs lots of food to grow on anyway.