Pregnant Foster Cat -- Advice please!

steviewonders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I recently starting fostering a pregnant mom, unknown gestation period... the rescue has no idea and has not offered ultrasound or X-ray to date the gestation or count the number of kittens...

Im trying to plan ahead on this pregnancy since I am a doctor and have to be at the hospital certain times (hoping she does not go into labor when I'm away...) ... from web searches it sounds like tell tale signs of imminent labor are ...
1) colostrum from nipples
2) yowling and nesting
3) temp change (I do not have a pet therm.)

she has neither of the applicable above

Babies are moving around in her belly quite actively!

any other signs??? thank you!

also at what point would the mammary glands develop? she has large nipples but that's about it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

steviewonders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! more advice needed... spoke to rescue about this and the vets there said to watch and wait but wanted to run it by the community here....
so my foster kitty has some white-yellow-opaque discharge from her vaginal opening, the vagina is more open in general and appears like she might be in early stages of labor. Im concerned that the white fluid is secondary to a high neutrophil count (read infection! --> pyometria) but the vet says to wait it out (which I understand bc want to try vaginal birth first....
her rectal temp is 98F

I just moved her legs and a little more WHITE OPAQUE discharge came out....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be infection if it were consistently green or yellow. Her discharge sounds like normal pre-birth discharge. I agree - wait it out. It sounds like she’ll be having kittens soon.

Are you seeing contractions? They look like waves down her sides.

S steviewonders

steviewonders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you! No obvious contractions since the movements dont seem like waves, but the kittens are actively moving a lot more (maybe form of contractions potentially)!

steviewonders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys!

My foster mom cat gave birth to 5 kittens yesterday. She may have had a URI before (some sneezing) but no other symptoms. I am concerned because she has tachypnea and is sometimes panting. She does this while nursing and when the kittens are resting. Rescue center does not seem to concerned...
I am a first time foster mom to a little cat family so I am concerned...
thoughts appreciated!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her some KMR. It's good for her after birth under any circumstances and if her panting is due to low calcium, that will take care of it.

Sort of like chicken soup for a new mother cat. The calcium will replenish what was lost making the kittens' bones and helps muscular contraction, as well as provides more calcium for her to make nutritious milk. It's good to have for the kittens if they need supplementary feedings, too.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed. Nursing is hard work. She needs calcium. Give her a dish or two of kitten formula to drink daily. Should resolve it.