pregnant forever!!

andria313

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here, but I've been reading all these posts for the last couple days. I'm worried about my cat, Chloe, because it seems like she's been pregnant way too long. I estimated mating at about the 15th of July, but obviously I'm incorrect, or she would have burst by now! So here's her situation:

Chloe's about a year old and very petite. I've been on labor watch for two weeks straight now. She is humongous and her belly dropped about a week ago (she looked so skinny I thought she'd had the kittens in the night!
) Her nipples are hard, swollen, and bright pink, and I noticed I could squeeze a small drop of milk out of them about 2 weeks ago (although I hadn't tried before that). Her vulva is swollen, soft and pink, and the opening looks bigger than it did a few days ago. It also is a bit "crusty," like maybe fluid came out and dried (she can't reach to clean there anymore). She's not really nesting, more just laying on the floor, but I did notice her birthing box was dug up yesterday morning. I've never seen her in it though, and when I put her in it, she just hops right back out. She was pretty sensitive about her stomach for awhile, but now she lets me feel it when she's laying down. Her breathing has seemed faster for about two weeks as well, and she sighs constantly! The kittens are moving like crazy, and I can watch them rolling around in her tummy, so I'm worried that they're ready, but she's not. 2 days ago, I noticed pretty violent twitching in her back, and kind of a shuddering between her legs, which I thought were contractions, but it's stopped now. I've been feeling for the "lump" of a contraction but all I get is little feet kicking me! She's still eating, although not a lot, and she's drinking water like a maniac. She's also had diarrhea for about 3 days. (Maybe it's the kitten food?)

So my question is... when do I really start to worry?
I've called a couple vets and they just say she sounds normal, and I must be wrong about the dates. But I don't think so. She moved in when my boyfriend did (June 30th), and was in heat when she got here, and got pregnant during that cycle (she didn't go out of heat and back in). The vet also said to leave her alone, which I try to do, but she follows me around all day and jumps in my lap to be petted. When I'm with her, she purrs like crazy, and doesn't try to leave or anything. Should I stay with her or shut her away by herself? When should I demand a vet check her? Is she really not as close as I think? If anyone could help me out I'd be forever grateful. Kitten watch is so tiring!!
Thanks!

julieh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG I know how you feel. My foster just gave birth on sunday morning and I'd been watching patiently for what seems like ages (OK, maybe a week...)

I'm no expert but here's my take on things:

I don't think a cat has to be "in full blown heat" for them to get pregnant. They are obviously "looking to mate" when they are in heat and are more receptive but if she was just starting to go into heat afew weeks after july 15th, you might not have seen the signs yet and that's when she got pregnant.

I took notes on Kiera so here's my experience: I could squeeze milk from Kiera's nipple for 10 days before she cat her kittens. Her appetite never decreased, no vaginal discharge at all. Her vulva did seem a little swollen and more "open" for about 4 days before she gave birth but it was hard to tell on color as she has black skin back there. She sat in her birthing box off and on for a few days then decided to deliver somewhere else entirely (same room). Her breathing seemed faster for about 2 weeks too. Honestly, she sounds about where Kiera was this weekend.

About "leaving her alone", I'm not sure what you mean. If she follows you around, she's obviously looking for your attentionor support. If she goes and hides, then take that as your cue that she wants to be left alone. Kiera followed me around in the last few days which meant jumping over a baby gate with a very pregnant tummy. She obviously wanted to be around people.

And you're absolutely right, kitten watch is exhausting !!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you actually see her mate or are you guesitmating her date based on what you perceived as her heat date??? To be on the safe side if you are worried, I would bring your cat in. The vet can look her over and tell you whether she is on track.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andria313

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks guys... I didn't see her mate, I was just judging by her heat cycles. If it was right at the beginning of a new one though, that would make more sense. If she's right where Kiera was, hopefully it will be today or tomorrow! She seems healthy and alert enough, except for the diarrhea. Is that a normal symptom of pregnancy or something else? The kittens just seem so ready to be born, I'm afraid they'll just bust through her tummy if she doesn't help them along pretty soon!

dragonstar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel on the kitten watch. It does seem like forever when you don't know what your looking for. Tiara never went into her birthing box until it was time. Your kitty sounds just like Tiara a couple days before she had her babies. Believe me, when she is having contractions you will feel the "lump" everyone is talking about. Tiara also got very talkative when she was in labor. She wouldn't shut up. I bet it will be anytime now. Don't leave her alone totally. Keep an eye on her. She may need your help. Good Luck

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my Catsy was going into labour, she woke me up with very worried-sounding meows at 530 am and wouldn't leave me alone. She seemed really scared and was very talkative and seemed comforted when I was around to talk to her and pet her. Perhaps it's because it was her first birth, so she was quite scared. Some cats prefer to be left alone, some prefer your company. I'd not recommend leaving your kitty alone since it seems she really appreciates you being around... Good luck with the kittens, hope they come soon!

andria313

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll try to stay with her, but not pester her. The vet just said that if I was hovering over her all the time it could make her nervous and she would delay labor. Also, that shuddering feeling is back. When I lay my hand on her tummy between her legs, it feels like intermittent buzzing/vibrating, separate from the kitten movement I hope (If the kitty's shivering, that can't be good). Does anyone know what that could be?

julieh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any new devellopement ?

I gotta say I wasted a whole bunch of time watching Kiera and trying to imterpret every sign. She had them on the one and only day that I wasn't there in the whole month !! A watched pot never boils and a watched cat never delivers ...

andria313

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens are here!!
I guess I freaked out a bit prematurely. Chloe went into labor the second I stepped my toe in the door this afternoon, and had three beautiful kitties. The first one was breach, and she had some trouble pushing, but once he was out, the next two came about 5 minutes apart. I told you they were ready!! We have a black one with white spots, and two pure whites (which is strange because Chloe's pure black). We think they may be half siamese, which will be so adorable! I'll try to post pictures if I can get ahold of a digital camera. Thanks for the help, even though Chloe didn't need it!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andria313

The kittens are here!!
I guess I freaked out a bit prematurely. Chloe went into labor the second I stepped my toe in the door this afternoon, and had three beautiful kitties. The first one was breach, and she had some trouble pushing, but once he was out, the next two came about 5 minutes apart. I told you they were ready!! We have a black one with white spots, and two pure whites (which is strange because Chloe's pure black). We think they may be half siamese, which will be so adorable! I'll try to post pictures if I can get ahold of a digital camera. Thanks for the help, even though Chloe didn't need it!
Congrats. Also....please remember to keep Chloe strictly indoors until her kittens are weaned and she is spayed.

BTW...something I found out quite recently...even a domesticated tabby can carry the pointed genes. So although the kittens may "look" siamese, they may not have any siamese in them. I'm sure they are precious though.

Katie

andria313

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I can't tell if they have points or not yet, but I made a mistake. The tom cat that lives around here is Himalayan, not Siamese...he's one of those fat, squishy face ones, not the skinny "Lady and the Tramp" kind. (I've been researching cat breeds) and my babies look just like baby Himalayans. It's the only explanation I can come up with for white kittens, given the cats I've seen around the apartment. One is really white, which I think means lilac points, and the other is more cream colored, which means seal points. Is that right? Will they definitely have long hair, or could they be short-haired (like Chloe) but with Himalayan markings?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moggie kittens can be anything. I had one longhaired kit out of 5 with Sugar. I got a siamese looking kit from a brown tiger cat once. If they look white, they may develop points later.

Congrats on the kits.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andria313

Thank you! I can't tell if they have points or not yet, but I made a mistake. The tom cat that lives around here is Himalayan, not Siamese...he's one of those fat, squishy face ones, not the skinny "Lady and the Tramp" kind. (I've been researching cat breeds) and my babies look just like baby Himalayans. It's the only explanation I can come up with for white kittens, given the cats I've seen around the apartment. One is really white, which I think means lilac points, and the other is more cream colored, which means seal points. Is that right? Will they definitely have long hair, or could they be short-haired (like Chloe) but with Himalayan markings?
Andria....without having a genetic test done, even if you do research on breeds...the Tom cat may have characteristics like a Himmy, but again, may not be one or may be a mix. I would really caution you against calling the kittens Himmy, you can certainly say they are domesticated short or long haired kittens with points (that have Himmy characteristics) to be on the safe side. For now, I'm glad you have healthy kittens and again, I urge you to keep Chloe indoors only until she weans her kittens and can be spayed. If you need a low cost clinic for when the time is right, I have listed a link below:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

Katie