Pregnant Feral Cat.

TNR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year I started feeding a emaciated female. little did I know she had already had four kittens.I fixed her right a way and then the kittens as well.(out of pocket) Now a year later I still feed three of the kittens, one got hit by a car and mom doesn’t come around anymore.Well last week a new female showed up pregnant,she is now in a spare bedroom to far along to fix.I am keeping her until she gives birth,TNR her and hopefully find homes for the kittens. I am writing this to get feed back on keeping her comfortable ( she is stressed out) birthing tips and maybe some tips getting the kittens homes,Thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Talk much with her, in a friendly, low voice. You can have relaxing, calming music on. Classical harp musiic is best,t they say, but almost any can work. Do NOT put on radio with human voices - its too early, it will just stress her. Also, if you want TNR her, no point with overdoing the fostering....

Let her have her little hidey, perhaps in a cat igloo. A somewhat dark calm corner... A cage may de facto work - its not only a prison, but for them a protection...

Dont look into her eyes, look aside or at the ears. You may blink slowly. No raised hands.
You can yawn, and standing on all fours, strech yourself - as cats do greeting friendly equals.

Sit low nearby, and talk or read. You amy even try to lay down and pretend you are hurt... Perhaps laying in foster postion. With a little luck she will come forward to offer you her company and sympathy...

When she has landed, and understands nobody is threating her, and you are friendly, she will realize this is the best practical chance for her children. And thus, she will copy and cooperate. Because, her childrens best is more important than "freedom". In this they are very much alike human moms.
Not sure you manage to foster her, but I will be suprised if you cant fosterh her kittens... Usually mommas dont mind.

Its one of the nice paradoxes with rescuing semiferale mommas. Its often easier to help a shy semiferale momma with kittens, than her twin without kittens...

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she doing today? Do you have her in a crate or does she have free roam of the room? We have a heavily pregnant feral cat in our home too!

• Purraise
Reactions: TNR
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TNR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have her in a crate, because I have five dogs and two year old.I wouldn’t want anything to happen to her.She lets me touch her now she is very friendly still no milk but her nipple are huge.Tomorrow is my birthday so I hope they come tomorrow. lol I don’t think she was feral,people in my neighborhood move and leave them behind:(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What size is the crate? Can she move around? Is she in a room of her own?

TNR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s a large dog crate she can move a round.she is in room of her own, but I don’t want the room door to open and something to happen.

TNR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I put coconut oil on her nips, They’re a little dry.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like it could be any day now! My mom had her kits a few hours ago!