Pregnant Feral Cat

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
A feral cat, whom I named Flower, has been staying in our garden for the last 3 months. Just about 2 months ago Flower started looking pregnant. I know for sure now that's she's pregnant, and she has really warmed up to me the last few days. She even let me rub her tummy.! I have also noticed in the last 2 days she has been breathing faster than normal and her stomach looks like she is having small contractions. Are small contractions normal? I do have a video i could try and upload if needed. I just want to make sure nothing is going wrong. Since she is feral I have no idea how old she is, but she looks older. Please, let me know what you think!
Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't want to until she goes to the vet and I make sure she is healthy. I have two kids, two other cats and a dog.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to be inside in her own room before she gives birth. It's urgent, for her safety and for the safety of the kittens.

She should not be interacting with your kids or other pets at this point anyway.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be in pre-labor or early labor. You need to bring her inside. It's not safe for her to have her kittens outside.

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She sleeps in my garage. But I do leave it cracked so she can go out if she wants. I would keep her in my garage, but I don't want her to get too hot. Should I shut it and put fans in there?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring her into an empty room in your house so you can kitten-proof and control temperature?

Mom cannot be allowed to wander anymore.

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm pretty sure she has fleas and that makes me nervous. Would a bathroom be enough room?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could work. Are you able to put flea medicine on her neck?

The fleas should be treated anyway before the kittens arrive. Fleas can cause anemia in newborn kittens.

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh. I called our vet and asked if I could bring her in and have her treated for fleas and get her check out. The vet told me she can not have flea medicine or anything while she is pregnant..
Also, how do I get her to my bathroom?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She can be treated for fleas while pregnant. Advantage II for cats is safe.

Can you handle her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, quite a few rescuers uses their bathroom as the quarantine room. In part because they perhaps dont have extra rooms, in part because its easy to clean.
Look, if a shelter would admit her, she would at very best get a cubicle big as a small bathroom.
So a bathroom is room aplenty. Why even a big dog cage is OK.

Wise of you to maintain some sort of quarantine before she meets your residents - either in this garage as was your first plan - or as we suggest, inside in your home.

I'm pretty sure she has fleas and that makes me nervous. Would a bathroom be enough room?

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once she has her kittens I was planning on keeping her. I just didn't want to scare her while she is pregnant. Also she defi

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once she has her kittens I was planning on keeping her. I just didn't want to scare her while she is pregnant. Also, she will not come inside my home and I'm not sure how to get her inside.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she doesnt come in voluntarily, you will perhaps need to take her in a trap. the light alternatives are, if you can coach her into a carrier, grab her in the neck = scruff her; wrap a blanket around her. Wrapped up, she ceases resistance. If you have some resident, train before on the resident some...

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, my next question would be if I put her in my bathroom will it stress her out more having me and my fiancé in and out. I wish I have a low traffic room for her, but I dont.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this is a good question. but as the bathroom IS often used by rescuers, it is apparently usually OK...

She is OK with you. Is she OK with the fiancée?
If not give her a crash course, the fiancée coming with her food a day or two... :) Talking sweetly and making friendly noises helps too. :)

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you!

Teeny22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have another question. I just noticed that a month ago Flower had darker hair on her belly, but now her hair is white. Is this a sign she is losing hair? Or should I be concerned?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No cause for concern. Her fur is changing colors as she matures.