Pregnant Deaf Cat

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My cat had an neuritis from 1 year ago, and due to the negligent animal care in my country she suffered from a hearing loss.
And unfortunately we don't have any animal care in this case here, and now she's pregnant.
We had a good experience in delivering and taking care of a pregnant cats for many years but this is the first time we face this situation.
We are taking good care of her, but i'm afraid that she might not be able to care for her babies the way it supposed to be.
I don't know if someone was in the same situation it would be great to give some advises.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS JadaAbdol. I am glad you have joined us. You will be hearing from our advisors experienced in your situation. You haven't indicated how close to delivery is your pregnant cat but just in case I'm offering some thoughts which I hope you will find helpful.
-Given her hearing problem confinement to a small room without any hiding places the little ones could crawl into should be provided. For extra security placing mom in a dog crate in that small room would be ideal.

The main preocupation will be making sure mom feeds the little ones since she will not hear them cry when they are hungry. Weighing them daily will be the only reliable way to confirm they are being fed.

How present will you be able to remain close to them during the day? You will probably have to help placing the kitties on their mom's nipples.
Please note that you can consult our forums on the care of pregnant cats and newly born kitties.

Please let us know when delivery is expected.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use the dog crate, which is a good idea, I'd put a border of cardboard (like the flaps from brown boxes) around the edges to keep the very young kittens from getting through the openings at first and later to keep them from getting stuck in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your helpful replies, she's still at the begining of her pregnancy, i guess the delivery will be in 45-50 days

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just recently saw her mating? Is there any way you can get her spayed now?

Where are you located? Maybe we can help.

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we have 2 male cats, she's now starting to have alot of signs of being pregnant, like the changes of the shape of her belly, alot of sleeping hours and laziness, the searching in a small areas, under the beds..etc.
I'm in Cairo, Egypt

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some options for spaying and neutering in Cairo:
Clinic and TNR Program - Society for the Protection of Animal Rights in Egypt

This place may be able to point you to spay/neuter resources specifically: Volunteer with ESMA

Your males need to be fixed as soon as possible. If you are comfortable, you can have your female spayed while pregnant, which would end the pregnancy. This is especially important to consider if you are concerned about vet care for her and the kittens, and if you think you will be unable to safely rehome the kittens.

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I previously posted a topic about my pregnant deaf cat and asked if there's any advices to take care of her as she'll not hear her babies when they're hungry or wants to clean up.
she just gave birth from 2 days, 4 kittens 2 of them born dead 2 is alive.
Now the first day she didn't leave the babies at all, just she gets out of the box to eat or so.
But yesterday and today she started to leave them alot, she spends more hours sleeping near the box, so we always check on the babies and get her back to the box as it's really getting cold here
I cannot change the box as she choosed it after we put several boxes around the house for her to choose.
I'm really worried that she spend alot of time outside the box, and when getting back to the box she cleans and fead them for half an hour then get out of the box again.
The box is not really that small it's average, we tried to replace it with a bigger box but she got nervous and started to move the babies under the bed and when we put her old box back she moved them to it again.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could fill large socks with rice and microwave them to heat them. Then I'd put them around the outside edges of the box. Or since mom likes to be out of the box and might be attracted to the warmth, I'd put them on the sides mom can't reach -- to keep her from sleeping against the warm socks. If she gets in the box she gets warmth, if not, no warmth.

I'm not sure if this will work, but it's a thought. It's good of you to keep checking on them.

You might want to read the taking care of kittens articles in case mom doesn't. Once you get the hang of napping it's not that hard. Okay, it's not easy, but it's possible.

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could fill large socks with rice and microwave them to heat them. Then I'd put them around the outside edges of the box. Or since mom likes to be out of the box and might be attracted to the warmth, I'd put them on the sides mom can't reach -- to keep her from sleeping against the warm socks. If she gets in the box she gets warmth, if not, no warmth.

I'm not sure if this will work, but it's a thought. It's good of you to keep checking on them.

You might want to read the taking care of kittens articles in case mom doesn't. Once you get the hang of napping it's not that hard. Okay, it's not easy, but it's possible.
That's a very good idea, i'll try it.
Thank you!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you put them inside the nest box, cover them with towels to keep from being too hot against the kittens. Remember Kittens at this age can't regulate their temperature or move away from what's bothering them. You probably already knew that, but I'd feel bad if one of the kittens got burned, because I didn't mention it.

And you are doing so good with mom and kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its a normal behavior. The problem is if she notices when they become unhappy.

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you put them inside the nest box, cover them with towels to keep from being too hot against the kittens. Remember Kittens at this age can't regulate their temperature or move away from what's bothering them. You probably already knew that, but I'd feel bad if one of the kittens got burned, because I didn't mention it.

And you are doing so good with mom and kittens.
Yes i know that they're still to young to regulate their own temperature that's why i keep geyting her back to the box.
I'm really thankful for your help

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad.

I was just thinking maybe this is her first litter and she doesn't really know what she's doing yet. I've read other threads with first litter moms who don't seem to spend enough time with the kittens at first. They are happy to feed and wash the kittens when put with them, but tend to wander off. After a few days something seems to click and they get it. At that point they are doing the mom thing as hoped for. so you have that to look forward to.

You are the best thing that could have happened to little mama and her kittens. Don't you forget that when you get tired.

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad.

I was just thinking maybe this is her first litter and she doesn't really know what she's doing yet. I've read other threads with first litter moms who don't seem to spend enough time with the kittens at first. They are happy to feed and wash the kittens when put with them, but tend to wander off. After a few days something seems to click and they get it. At that point they are doing the mom thing as hoped for. so you have that to look forward to.
Actually that's her second, the first time she gave birth she was still hearing, she lost it due to infection and bad medical treatment.
She didn't spend anytime with the kittens and didn't even clean them up after birth or cut the umbilical cordo, so we did all of the things
But unfortunately they all got sick and died.
This time she started very good, gave birth by herself cleaned them all and fed them well and we thought she finally got the motherhood skills
I don't know i guess she didn't meant to be a mother

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, some aren't. Fortunately, it's easy to take care of for cats. ;) Even if she gets it together, two kittens maybe enough for her. We kept a mom and her kittens for their entire lives and it was a wonderful experience. They remained close as long as they lived.

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, some aren't. Fortunately, it's easy to take care of for cats. ;) Even if she gets it together, two kittens maybe enough for her. We kept a mom and her kittens for their entire lives and it was a wonderful experience. They remained close as long as they lived.
We had alot of cats since i was a kid and we have a very good experience with them.
This cat was born and grown up in our house, her brothers and mother still here.
But this is really the first time we face a situation where a cat can't take care of her kittens :(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing you guys the best. At least here there will be someone to answer every question you have. If you can you might get some kitten milk replacement KMR (?) since you might need it for them and mom could use a dish every day. If you're giving her that and kitten food it might increase her milk production and that might drive her to find the kittens. Feeding them would make her more comfortable.

JadaAbdol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wishing you guys the best. At least here there will be someone to answer every question you have. If you can you might get some kitten milk replacement KMR (?) since you might need it for them and mom could use a dish every day. If you're giving her that and kitten food it might increase her milk production and that might drive her to find the kittens. Feeding them would make her more comfortable.
I already got the milk replacement in case she didn't feed them
I didn't know that she can drink it too!