Pregnant cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is your cat doing? What did the vet say about her and the little chewed up baby?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry I've been running all day. They said momma cat is just fine no more babies and has been spayed. She was given some antibiotics. As far as chewy the doc said the reason she chewed him was be because she was in so much pain it was out of desperation. But he cut the rest of his tale off have him some topical antibiotics and said that he may or may not make it he couldn't stich it up just said to try and let the antibiotics work through mommas milk plus the ones that are topical. He said he dosent see it very often them chewing he said in 47 years being in practice he has seen it in dogs more than cats. But let's hope and pray on it and he looks much better already. I'll take pics tomorrow don't want to wake them as they are resting but he said the other kittens are doing. Great and the one who didn't make it was prolly causing her to go into preterm labor and might have messed stuff up I took a better look at him/her and it didn't have and southern parts it had a very big mouth and almost a dinosaur shaped head so it had to have happened earlier on. He was much bigger that the others. She licked him all off though plus chewed the cord so I think she really tried to revive him. I told my little girl we would bury him out of respect for all life. I thank you guys dearly and I'll be in touch tomorrow with pictures

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad mom is spayed and hope she recovers quickly. I hope all the kittens are nursing well, and that the little one makes it. Why did he cut off the tail? Did he think it would not heal otherwise?

We'll look forward to pictures when you get a chance.

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes he said it had to come off because it might cause infection but there is still a spot that's open a little bit and he said lets just hope it dosent get infected he told me I could let him stay with mom and his siblings but I've had no sleep because I can't bare to see anymore harm come his way. Bit my daughter and I are setting an alarm for two hours and checking just so we can get a little sleep we are going on two hours sleep now but it just needs a few days to heal and I think we will be in the clear. I'll update in the morning goodnight and thanks to all

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi rukia.If you go to www.tinykittens.com in my part of BC you will see the miracle kitty Cassidy.Who was trapped with his brother on a 25 acre parcel of land. tiny kittens is trapping & neutering & spaying over 200 ferals.Cassidy & his brother when found were around 9 weeks of age.Cassidy has no legs below the knees.They were xrayed and felt momma while cutting the cord it must have been wrapped around his legs so she cut right through.Because cats have a crushing cut rather than us using scissors it helps stop the bleeding.Like when they cut the cord it hardly bleeds from crushing action.Same thing.He was at his last day as he had ecoli bacteria in his stumps.You should see him now!!!OMG darling Enjoy & sending very positive thoughts to the little one.If cassidy can live 9 weeks in the wild with no legs & survive i think your baby has a great chance.hugs C

stormy bledsoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet at least wrap Chewy's stub of a tail so it wouldn't get dirt into it?

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momo as I sit and read this to my daughter I'm in tears and I def will check her out. Thank you so much for your kind words I stayed up most of the night with him like a worried mommy. The vet said sarthur that there is nothing to wrap. So we are just putting a homade remedy from the vet made out of iodine and a fee other things plus momma is on an antibiotic so it will get in her blood and go to kitten since he is so small. I have a few pics as well of his after care not much I could do but put maybe a little homeade dialer on him and help momma with releaving him so he can keep the diaper on but what supplies would I use. I called a rescue she she said don't wrap for 72hours but after that I could they said the first 72 hours is the toughest but he's not out of the red zone because of gangrene but believe me we are doing everything from taking shifts to just sit on the floor with momma and help babies find nipples without fighting so chewy dosent get injured even more to holding him while others feed and then rotating them so he won't get scratched. To putting on meds and such. Next week he will def have a doctor visit to see how he is comi f along and I will update on that. Hes a very hungry little thing fat belly but he is smaller than the others I don't have a way to weigh them though but he's def getting his share of milk we are seeing to that. Thanks again!

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry stomy thought sarthur asked me that I was confused lack of sleep I guess lol bit yes the vet said don't wrap it sound weird to me to.

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it looks bad in the pictures but it actually looks a little better now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww ... Precious baby! It sounds like he's healing well. Is he nursing well?

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes he is nursing pretty well the last few days we have been making sure he gets his fair share of milk. I do see he dosent suckel as long as the other kittens maybe he is in pain. But he seems to be healing ok im not a doc so i cant say for sure or not. They will be seeing the doctor next week and we have made it through 72 hours now so that makes me feel so much better cant wait to see his little face when his eyes open. Ill keep everyone updated

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and he is moving his legs i know the vet said that may be an issue but i dont see that so far.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is good news! He really is a cute kitten and obviously has a fighting spirit. You've been through so much with this little family, here's hoping everything goes smoothly here on out! Sending vibes for all of you. :vibes:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful news! I have high hopes for this little guy since he's made it through the critical 72 hours. Just make sure he's nursing and growing.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great news Rukia!!! Your such a great Mom!All that love from Momma & his will will prevail!!Go little guy!!!!Suck.....Hugs C.Gain weight little guy..

randi411

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm in Indiana as well.  I took in a feral cat 6 days ago that gave birth last night to 5 and one tail chewed off.  I'm happy to help connect you with people that can help the baby with it's tail chewed off and the mom if she needs it.  The mom should be ok as long as you don't smell any infection type smells or excess bleeding.  The human society is a great place to help out with spaying a neutering.  Here is another website that is full of contacts with Veterinarians and people that truly care for pets and want to help people like you that are kind enough to bring a momma like this inside.  http://www.spayneuterservices.org/   If they are not helpfull feel free to contact me.  I have a lot of friends in rescue that probably know of other assistance we can find for you, mom, and babies.  Good luck hope all are doing well!!

rukia222

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update kittens all made it all are hralthy and doing fine and a rescue said that we will know in the bext few weeks if the tailess one can potty by hisself if so he dosent need a foster