Pregnant Cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaylab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had three Saturday night but one was stillborn, she took a break, Then yesterday afternoon she had two and one was stillborn. I think she has another to give birth too.. I thought I seen one moving around in there a little bit. She's very calm :) I have been keeping my eyes on her. BUT she's not helping them pee&poo :( I have to do it.. It was so sad I have never seen so much poop come out of such a little kitty! One is bloated and I can't get him to poop. I'm making sure he gets something to eat but he's in a plastic bin right now (snug and warm) until I get him to poop. He's only 3 days old I don't want to give him anything. Can I give him home made pedialyte?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And congrats on the kittens! So sorry about the stillborns. Is this her first litter? Perhaps she is just tired and will begin licking them soon when she gets rested. Good you've taken over for now.

chaylab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No this is her 3rd litter. I think they were stillborn because she had a hard time with them and the sac was filled with blood. She's a very good mom except for helping them go to the bathroom.

chaylab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I kinda would like to talk to an expert. I want to make sure I get all the info I need on this kind of thing or I would just look it up. I want to make sure that it's done right.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This a tip from catwoman(one of our advisors)

You can use running warm water hold the kitten in your hand, holding her backside in your hand, the kitten steady and well she moving around too much your can wrap her in something, get the water to a tad warmer than lukewarm, but nowhere near hot. Then put kittens rear end under the water, tap with your finger his and he should go

I would suggest adding few drops of mineral oil to his milk replacer but since you not feeding him, i don't know

Last edited by a moderator:

chaylab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He hasn't popped at all. I watch the mom cat and she doesn't lick their bottoms. I have even tried to get her to do it. I got him to poop a little bit using the triangle method and I don't want to risk giving them anything.

chaylab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What color is the poop suppose to be when they drink moms milk?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, so black then yellow is due to their newborn age. Once the dark is gone it will be a soft consistency but not puddle runny, and yellow-ish, mustardy to light/med brown as they age some.

If I read correct, you have one baby separate? It's best not to isolate one unless of course there is an serious issue going on, like mom is abusive and is in danger, something like that.

You may not get poop daily, at least yet. It will take a couple days before their first poop, which is the black you saw.

Unless there is one who will not actively nurse and is fading or you keep finding the same one off on it's own, it's not necessary to feed at all, mom's milk is plenty.

Just keep mom happy with lots of good quality food and fresh water, at least one time a day of canned, and if you already have some, give her a dish of KMR for herself once a day for extra nutrition for her and her babes.

Any other questions feel free to summons! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She had three Saturday night but one was stillborn, she took a break, Then yesterday afternoon she had two and one was stillborn. I think she has another to give birth too.. I thought I seen one moving around in there a little bit. She's very calm
I have been keeping my eyes on her. BUT she's not helping them pee&poo
I have to do it.. It was so sad I have never seen so much poop come out of such a little kitty! One is bloated and I can't get him to poop. I'm making sure he gets something to eat but he's in a plastic bin right now (snug and warm) until I get him to poop. He's only 3 days old I don't want to give him anything. Can I give him home made pedialyte?
Ok, Im reading now, will try to answer in a few minutes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, home made pedialyte is fine.

Im not sure as yet what is the problem, you think he is dehydrated or what?  Anyways, some pedialyte is always ok.

chaylab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last time I got them to pee their pee was a little bit on the dark side not to bad so I'm going to go ahead and make pedialyte

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grasp the scruff of the neck and let go, it should go down immediately, if it goes down slow it means he dehydrated, the slower it down the more dehydrated he is.