pregnant cat with diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetsavvymommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to get a scale today, hopefully. I wasn't too worried about having one because I didn't expect her to have so many kittens. What is the average weight of newborn kitten? Thankfully there doesn't appear to be a runt. I just want to make sure that they are all able to find a nipple. Which seems to be a bit difficult, because the size of the bed she has them on she doesn't have a lot of room to lay down to where they can all feed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to get her and her kittens into a proper-sized nest immediately so that she can stretch out for all kittens to nurse. Very important, and if it's cool in your home you'll need a heating pad set on low under the blankets as a heat source for the kittens for the times mom leaves the nest.

You will most definitely have a runt with 6 kittens. A healthy birth weight is 3 to 31/2 ounces. Each kitten needs to gain 6-10 grams per day.

Please post the weights after you weigh them so we can advise you.

sweetsavvymommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I movedt hem, and she put them back. I just checked and they are all eating. It just took a little while for her to figureo it the best position for them. She hasn't wanted to leave them for more then a couple minutes, just for her to eat. It's plenty warm for them. 3 of the kittens look a lot a like, what is the best way to mark them so I can tell them apar?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long as they are doing well with mom it's fine if she moved them back.

The best way to mark them is with different color Sharpie pens and a mark on the tail.

sweetsavvymommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Weighed them. The smallest is 3oz all the others are 3 1/2 almost 4oz.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's fantastic! Continue to weigh them about the same time each day to make sure all are gaining well.