Pregnant Cat - Strange behaviors/symptoms...help.

stlsmiln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, I'm hoping that someone can tell me something about my pregnant cat's pregnant behavior. Unfortunately, I can't afford to take her to the vet unless it's a definite emergency and then I'll find a way...so here is the situation that I'm worried about...

My best guess at the time she would have gotten pregnant is Dec 25-26th, which would mean she's "due" tomorrow, right? Anyway, I've only recently come up iwth that time period so before I just thought any time, and I've been very excited and attentive to her (I work from home right now). About a week ago...

* I could feel the babies easily and she was milking
* She was definitely "nesting" (it was unreal to watch)
* then after a couple of days of "nesting" she had a couple of hours one day that she had some bloody discharge (not a lot but I noticed it) (this was 6 days ago)

What worries me is that since she does not display any of the behaviors that I read about on the internet, ex. nesting happens right before, feeling the babies happens in the last week (have been able to feel them for 2-3 weeks), has had milk for over a week (not actually a white substance but a clear, somewhat sticky substance), may quit eating the the last couple days, and she's back and forth on affection.

Seems like one minute she wants all the attention I'll give her, and then next she may try to swipe me for petting her (she actually got my neck a couple of days ago). But other than this erratic behavior she is just sleeping and eating A LOT.

She is HUGE (she's a small cat anyway), seems to be having less than an easy time breathing (sounds like a runny nose or congestion).

Should I be concerned? Please someone give me some peace of mind

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but it would be irresponsible for any of us to advise anything except for your kitty to be assessed by a Vet. What if there is some problem that, if it goes unnoticed, will result in major problems during the delivery - that could adversely impact her health/life and the health/life of the kittens? If you made the choice to not spay your cat such that she got pregnant, then I'm afraid you have to do the right thing - and that is to see a Vet. Particularly because she's a "small cat" and COULD have problems with delivery.........and mostly because she seems to have respiratory issues. Please do the right thing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to see the vet.
She can be in labor but the kittens could be to big which is a major problem.
I have seen kittens born lots of times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stlsmiln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mews, you think she could be in labor this whole time??? Would there really be NO signs of labor? I'm looking at her right now just laying there soundly sleeping...you really think she could be in labor?

Oh boy, I guess I'm going to have to take her to the vet. I'm terrified of the expense...how much does a vet visit cost generally (I've never had a pet as an adult)? I'm unemployed so I really worry about that, but then I also worry about her. Terrible position.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tomorrow, ring around vets in the area, ask how much it is for a consultation, and find the cheapest price. When you do find one, make sure they give you an estimate if they need to do anything else so you can decide whether you want to go ahead or not. Ask if they do payment plans as well, tell them you can pay $x now, and ask if you can pay the rest in installments if they need to do more tests.

stlsmiln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll let you know tomorrow night what I find.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh and around my area, the cost of a vet consultation (with no extra tests) is usually around the $40-60 mark.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cost for the vets here is the same as Sarahs area.
She can not be in labor for that many days.
Can you see the kittens kick or anything?

stlsmiln

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can see them kick every once in a while IF I watch for a while, and I can feel them. But she did bleen last week for a couple hours and hasn't had any of the behavioral (nesting, stop eating, etc) of a queen near labor.

Haha, the irony is that right now I'm watching CSPAN's replay of the Healthcare Summit b/c I am 30, was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis which is completely dibilitating when it's flaired up (two years ago), lost my job so I don't have insurance, have been denied by every company I've applied, and can't afford my medication anymore (nearly $2000/month).

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's a good idea to call up your vet and explain your situation and ask about the price. He may be able to give you some advice on things that may help. From your descriptions, she should be having them veeery soon. Usually they have them 1-2weks after you feel them and very soon after you have milk discharge, depending on if she's had kittens before. I wouldn't worry if she doesn't show all the signs you read on the Internet, some cats don't show any, but the fact that she still hasn't had them worries me a little, so I'd recomend calling your local vet or even your local animal shelter for advice
good luck with you mommy, and keep us updated on her!