Pregnant cat...normal pr emergency?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, IF there is anything to do, I presume the vet may lend you the gears, alike gauze and such.

As she is a weak suckler, you will probably need to handraise it. Kmr or goats milk (preferably raw goats milk, but almost any full fat goats milk is OK) via a syringe or a dropper.

A Amcott

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, contact your vet. The kitten is probably in pain and may need to be euthanized. This kitten may have suffered this injury in the birth canal. Only the vet can determine what needs to be done. Do you think your cat is finished delivering or has more inside? Is the other kitten doing well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amcott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are 3 kittens altogether. The 1st was very small and isnt able to suckle hhard enough to get milk. The 2nd is the poor baby with spina bifida (confirmed by the vet) and was also very small and not getting milk. #3 is doing amazing though. I did just get back from the vets (after calling and begging to get in first this this am) Momma is 100% fine and producing plenty of milk. I have kitten formula and all the supplies to take care of the 2 little babies. Every 2 hours. Vet said as long as baby #2 eats ok then theres no need to put her down at this time. There is the option for surgery (or possibly euthanasia if she seems to go downhill or in pain) a little later down the road. For now I was instructed to keep her clean and her back covered and hope she makes it through to the next appt in almost 2 weeks. I appreciate everyones input and genuine caring for my sweet Mya and new babies. Im so glad I found this site. Thank you all!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope the little ones survive, and please get mom and your first kitten spayed. The kitten should be spayed as soon as you can as they can go into heat as early as 4 months old. Mom I would book her for when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amcott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we lost baby Hope (kitten with spina bifida) I feel so guilty because I went yo the store and was gone about an hour. When i got home I found her under momma cat. I think Mya (momma) accidentally laid on her and becaise she was paralyzed she couldn't move enough to alert her mom. I tried cpr for so long but absolutely nothing happened. My family and I are completley devestated. If I hadn't left for an hour I wpuld have never gone that long without checking on them. I got so attached evrn though I knew she most likely wouldnt live long. Its just so devastating because Hope was eating and going potty so good. Momma cat was so upset to. She sat wirh me calling to her yhe whole time I was doi h cpr. After I realized she was gone for good I laid her next yo her momma and she was calling to her, licking her so much all over and nibbling her ever so lightly to try and rouse her. To call it devastating is an under statement. Our hearts are broken. Other 2 kittens are doing amazing. I am getting my cats fixed as soon as I have the money to do so. It'll be after Christmas. Ty everyone for the support.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RIP little sweetheart, you were with us for such a short time, but you knew love while you were here :rbheart:

I'm glad the other two babies are doing well 🙂

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry this happened, but do not blame yourself. This sweet baby also did its best. Birth defects are difficult in one so tiny. It’s good to hear the other two kittens are thriving! Do keep us posted. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well we lost baby Hope (kitten with spina bifida) I feel so guilty because I went yo the store and was gone about an hour. When i got home I found her under momma cat. I think Mya (momma) accidentally laid on her and becaise she was paralyzed she couldn't move enough to alert her mom. I tried cpr for so long but absolutely nothing happened. My family and I are completley devestated. If I hadn't left for an hour I wpuld have never gone that long without checking on them. I got so attached evrn though I knew she most likely wouldnt live long. Its just so devastating because Hope was eating and going potty so good. Momma cat was so upset to. She sat wirh me calling to her yhe whole time I was doi h cpr. After I realized she was gone for good I laid her next yo her momma and she was calling to her, licking her so much all over and nibbling her ever so lightly to try and rouse her. To call it devastating is an under statement. Our hearts are broken. Other 2 kittens are doing amazing. I am getting my cats fixed as soon as I have the money to do so. It'll be after Christmas. Ty everyone for the support.
I have a feeling sometimes moms help their dying kitten on the way, by laying on them, and thus, they hasten the end they think is coming.

So whatever you do, dont blame yourself. You did everything as well as could be done. And the kittens soul do knows it, and momma knows too you did your outmost to help her child.