Pregnant Cat Might be in Premature Labor

Arablahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister (who for some reason refuses to get her pets fixed) has a cat that stays with my parents since her apartment doesn't allow them and she got pregnant sometime around the end of February or beginning of March. We don't know exactly how far along she is but my best estimate based on when she was in heat and managed to escape the house would be that she's between 52-55 days along. A couple days ago she started lactating, and then last night she started having a little bit of bloody discharge and was very restless and wanted us to sit next to her nesting box with her. I'm assuming she's in early labor and the kittens will be here within the next day or maybe two at most. If she has the babies this early will they be too premature for her to care for on her own? I've been having a hard time finding information online saying whether her beginning to go into labor about a week early is cause for concern or not, but I'm thinking I should pick up syringes and some kind of kitten formula just in case. Any advice would be helpful, we've never cared for a pregnant pet before, and my sister refuses to take her cat to the vet because of the expenses (which I hate because why own a pet if you aren't willing to care for them properly). I can't afford to take her to the vet, especially seeing as she isn't even my cat, and I'm really starting to worry about whether the kittens will make it if they're this early.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My sister (who for some reason refuses to get her pets fixed) has a cat that stays with my parents since her apartment doesn't allow them and she got pregnant sometime around the end of February or beginning of March. We don't know exactly how far along she is but my best estimate based on when she was in heat and managed to escape the house would be that she's between 52-55 days along. A couple days ago she started lactating, and then last night she started having a little bit of bloody discharge and was very restless and wanted us to sit next to her nesting box with her. I'm assuming she's in early labor and the kittens will be here within the next day or maybe two at most. If she has the babies this early will they be too premature for her to care for on her own? I've been having a hard time finding information online saying whether her beginning to go into labor about a week early is cause for concern or not, but I'm thinking I should pick up syringes and some kind of kitten formula just in case. Any advice would be helpful, we've never cared for a pregnant pet before, and my sister refuses to take her cat to the vet because of the expenses (which I hate because why own a pet if you aren't willing to care for them properly). I can't afford to take her to the vet, especially seeing as she isn't even my cat, and I'm really starting to worry about whether the kittens will make it if they're this early.
Yeah, prepare as well you can for a premature delivery. And so, if you can, prepare for fight all out... Prematury delivery is much toughter on kittens than on human babies, because they mature much in just the last few days. especielly the lungs.... If delivered more than 3-4 days before they usually die... But whom knows, you may be lucky if they survive the first few hours and if you fight vigorously enough. This happens.
Keep them warm (an IR lamp as rheumatic people use may help), prepare to handfeed, etc.

And if sis refuses to spay, do it yourself. Dont ask her. As her cats anyway doenst live with her, so just do it. She probably wont even notice...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arablahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is either 55 or 59 days pregnant, we don't know for sure, but almost 2 hours ago she gave birth to a stillborn kitten and hasn't had a single contraction since. I know that if she is 55 days pregnant there's a good chance that none of the kittens could make it, but should we be concerned that she stopped having contractions. There's definitely more kittens in there, and in all my research it's said that it typically doesn't take longer than an hour between kittens. Should we take her to the vet or should we wait another couple hours to see if she starts contracting again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will hopefully carry the unborn kittens another week or ten days to full term. Preemies don’t usually survive. Wait it out.