Pregnant cat, help

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I recently brought in a stray cat.. she was confirmed by the vet to be pregnant just not sure how far along she is. She was far enough along to see fetuses on X-ray. I’m just having trouble telling when she might be due, her nipples are bald and big, she scratches at her litter box, her appetite is off and on.. any help would be great, if you can tell me if she might be close as well! 3C9133F1-83F4-4E20-ACD9-156521E91888.jpeg 72371EE5-1E33-4B43-A739-6B586DD40014.jpeg 79075585-9F06-4DB0-B60A-F9AA6FD1E290.jpeg 3DBBC881-198B-45EA-AB22-BDB5DC8B5984.jpeg 8C3771EE-E250-439C-B254-491F6EDEBAFE.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! How long ago was the x-ray? How long have you had the cat?

If her nipples are bald and as big as she looks she’s nearing the end, but it could be any time now to a couple more weeks without further details. Any discharge yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! How long ago was the x-ray? How long have you had the cat?

If her nipples are bald and as big as she looks she’s nearing the end, but it could be any time now to a couple more weeks without further details. Any discharge yet?
two weeks ago was the X-ray, I’ve had her since Mother’s Day, she was a stray as mentioned I caught her and then later that day took her to the vet and confirmed the pregnancy, after kittens are weaned mom will be spayed and let back out most likely unless she decides to stay. No discharge yet I don’t think, she’s still skidish so I don’t get too close. I’ll sit next to her and talk to her and let her smell my hand until she gets more comfortable with me. The vet had mentioned you can’t see fetuses well on X-rays until 45-50 days when their bones are all made up.

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This was just on her towels when I looked in there 59FC67D4-DC12-4533-B4AB-3EC60EF970FE.jpeg

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update; she’s been licking all night long, she has more spots on her towel, and she’s been meowing on and off

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it sounds like she may be in early labor. Keep us posted!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If there’s another kitten she will have it when her body is ready.

Congrats! Is the kitten nursing well?

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there’s another kitten she will have it when her body is ready.

Congrats! Is the kitten nursing well?
As far as I can tell yes, it is! It’s suckling away she’s laying on her back, with her paw around the kitten. I’m letting her relax a little bit before I pull the kitten out to weigh it real quick, I don’t want to stress her too much!

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t tell if she has another kitten, off and on it looks like she has contractions but you can tell she’s exhausted. Help! CE19308C-892A-41F6-864A-9164073561AE.jpeg E76DD075-62F2-4097-8D34-415ED8502170.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you see her attempting to push? If not, cats can have after-birth contractions for a day or so which help to shrink the uterus back to normal.

However, IF she has another kitten but is failing to push it out, you’ll need to get her to a vet. An x-ray will determine if there is a kitten and if it is stuck in the birth canal or not. If so, the vet can give oxytocin to stimulate contractions, and failing that, a c-section would be required.

If you think she is in distress you’ll need an emergency vet. If not, wait until tomorrow.

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has she been in labor?
She had her first one at 8 am, her second one at 2:15 pm, now she’s got a lump on the side licking everywhere and her stomach goes hard then soft

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you see her attempting to push? If not, cats can have after-birth contractions for a day or so which help to shrink the uterus back to normal.

However, IF she has another kitten but is failing to push it out, you’ll need to get her to a vet. An x-ray will determine if there is a kitten and if it is stuck in the birth canal or not. If so, the vet can give oxytocin to stimulate contractions, and failing that, a c-section would be required.

If you think she is in distress you’ll need an emergency vet. If not, wait until tomorrow.
Her stomach keeps going hard and soft and she’s holding her leg up

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be getting ready to deliver another kitten. When did this start?

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may be getting ready to deliver another kitten. When did this start?
A little before 5pm it’s off and on, I can tell she’s exhausted I called the vet also they said keep an eye on her and unless she looks distressed she should be okay so idk. I just worry haha

aadrago01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she resting at all or is her leg up all the time?
Right now she’s resting, her leg goes up off and on as well which is when she’ll sit up and lick and then her stomach will start going hard and then soft like she’s barring down

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she’s laboring. Hopefully she’ll get strong enough contractions to push the baby out before too long. It sounds like it was a few hours between her first and second kittens, so this one is taking time also.