Pregnant Cat Help!!

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!!
My cat is heavily pregnant.
I think I can feel contractions, but not 100% sure. The kittens are kicking away inside her and have been for a few weeks now. However She isn’t nesting, but she hasn’t eaten today.
She’s just lazing around and seems to be In no pain, but every now and then twitches her back legs and rolls over. She’s alert..
I’m contemplating taking her to the vets tomorrow to see what’s happening, but don’t want to waste money that I don’t need to waste if she’s fine?
She’s more affectionate than normal, and normally hides away in a bedroom, but she won’t leave the living room currently, which is brave when I have a 4yo, 16mo& 5mo..

Anyway, I’m basically trying to figure out if she’s in labour or not..

Please don’t bash the fact she is pregnant, when my youngest was a few months old she ended up in intensive care, my friend came to let the our other cat out and she escaped, and went missing. Got found and returned pregnant. (she was booked in to be spayed but obviously that’s been put on hold until her babies are here).
Thanks.xx

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t think a vet trip is necessary.

It sounds like she may either be in early labor or pre-labor.

Also, early labor can last 24 hours, and as labor progresses, you will see ripple-like waves in her sides. Those are contractions.

Her water can break during labor, or with the first kitten. She can lose her mucus plug up to a week before delivery.

Here are helpful links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Good luck! Keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes. I have been seeing the ripples in her sides since about 3pm today. But she’s now eating in the kitchen? Xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All normal! Some cats eat between kitten deliveries. Others lose their appetites altogether a day before. Every cat pregnancy is different. :)

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay brilliant, she’s currently in the kitchen window completely fine, should I be concerned about her not nesting? X

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She also keeps trying to get outside?x

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I won’t let her out at all. I’m keeping a very close eye on her, she’s previously had premmie kittens that were so tiny, she ate them(they didn’t survive the birth) so I’m overly watching her x

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The advice I was given by my vet was to keep inside at least from a few days prior to birth (naturally with access to a litter tray).
All the best with her. Does sound like it may be close - with mine who had hers three days ago it all happened quite fast (more info on my thread 'preparing for Biscuit's kittens')

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats go to the nest right when it’s time to deliver, and not before.

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah okay, we’ve got her a dog cage in the living room with sheets etc, as she has spent almost the entire day on the living room floor in the chaos, however now the children are in bed she’s decided to go into the kitchen, lay on the cold floor and be by herself.
I haven’t noticed any milk leaking however, her nipples are incredibly light pink and rock solid, also the ‘swelling’ which I’m presuming is her milk, spaced out variously around her belly, isn’t under her nipples it’s beside them? I’m terrified she’s not going to be able to nurse them for some reason? Is this normal? X

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, it didn’t I don’t think..

She was asleep in the living room in the chaos all day, so we put up a dog crate with bedding etc in the living room. However now the children are in bed she’s taken to the cold kitchen floor?
Also, her nipples are light pink& rock solid, and the ‘swelling’ I think is milk, spaced out variously over her belly isn’t under her nips? It’s like beside it? Is that normal? Thanks x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Things sound normal. It sounds like her mammary glands are beginning to fill up.

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah okay, I wish I knew how far she was just so I could figure it all out, I’m so worried for her after last time
Although I can see them moving!
I hate the fact I don’t know which breed she is to even tell her ‘roughly’ Labour date if that makes sence? This is her right now (I just came to check on her and she ran over to me) she seems so sad ): x

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks very sweet! She looks like a tabby to me.

Try to relax and to worry less. Cats have been having babies in the wild for hundreds of years. Usually all goes well.

She will have the kittens when her body is ready. :)

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know lol, I just don’t want her to be in more pain than she has to be I guess, I think because of last time I’m worried that she’s worried if that makes sence? she just followed me back into the living room to clean herself, how lovely.

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya! I posted about my cat Tilly yesterday, questioning her labour, however today she looks like she’s lost some weight?
(She is vet pregnant confirmed- it is not phantom pregnancy)

She isn’t nesting, her nipples are light pink and solid, her mammory glands are massive! She isn’t in pain, and she’s loving the affection, she has a little bit of blood around her vag 2 days ago, and I mean the tiniest amount (it may not of even been blood just looked like it from a distance? She won’t let anyone check her back end- fair enough!) I’m estimating she’s about 63 days. (My daughter was on life support & my friend let our other cat out and she escaped and went missing for 2 weeks, when she was found a few weeks later she was throwing up, took her to the vets& she was pregnant) she wasn’t meant to go out till she was spayed.
I’m so paranoid that she’s going to not be okay! X

Attachments

Jadetempest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She must have dropped, this means the kittens have moved lower to prepare for labor, she will appear smaller

JessicaLucy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay, I started panicking lol, thankyou xx