Pregnant cat.. help!

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Que, is pregnant.. She is about 2 years old, all white, blue eyes, long hair.. Beautiful cat!! We suspect she conceived during the week of May 25th. I can feel the kittens inside of her and they are full sized.. but they aren't moving at all.. Im worried that they wont make it.. Her nipples are large and pink and her belly is very big. I made her a whelping box in my closet and she goes in there a lot and digs at the blankets.. She is supposed to have them soon but im just very concerned for her.. There are no signs of miscarriage other than the kittens just simply not moving! Any advice for me?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have delivered kittens before and i know what to typically expect.. I am just concerned that the kittens are already dead inside of her.. Ive done a lot of research about this but my questions aren't answered

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat, Que, is pregnant.. She is about 2 years old, all white, blue eyes, long hair.. Beautiful cat!! We suspect she conceived during the week of May 25th. I can feel the kittens inside of her and they are full sized.. but they aren't moving at all.. Im worried that they wont make it.. Her nipples are large and pink and her belly is very big. I made her a whelping box in my closet and she goes in there a lot and digs at the blankets.. She is supposed to have them soon but im just very concerned for her.. There are no signs of miscarriage other than the kittens just simply not moving! Any advice for me?
Do you have a feeling of how many they are?  If they are many, it may be too tight for them to move  freely.  Some do not move as much as others.

Did you ever  felt them move?  Because in the last two days before the delivery, when they have sunk into their birthing position, they usually dont move as much.

I think consulting a good vet obstetrician is the  wise to do and the best advice here...  But it helps only in the case he is sure they are dead or sure they are alive - in that case he will give the best advice on what to do.

A cesarean now will kill them IF they are alive, so a cesarean to look see by a decent vet but whom is no obstetrician is no option here,  unlike a human mom - where if not sure, its just to take them out.

Of course, if he finds they are alive, it will be a good info.

If you dont have access to a good obstetrician, I suspect its just to wait and see several days more.  Be watchful, measure her temp to discover any fever  (armpit of the foreleg is ok, the temp there is somewhat lower than in rectum).    And hopefully they will come in the natural time - alive or not.

If cesarean or contracting hormons given about day 65, they should be mature enough to survive - IF they are alive....

As said, its a difficult dilemma,  more complicated than with human moms.   On the other hand, IF they are dead inside, the danger is of course a poisoning of mom.  But in practice they get often calcifierated, ie clad in calcium, without no bacteria infection of mom...

I hope my rant helped you some....

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I dont think there is any more than four kittens.. But im prepared for the worst and the best scenario.. And no i never felt them move before. I felt the bubble of the kitten in the earlier stages but now i feel the body and the head but no movement

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you. I dont think there is any more than four kittens.. But im prepared for the worst and the best scenario.. And no i never felt them move before. I felt the bubble of the kitten in the earlier stages but now i feel the body and the head but no movement
Do you have access to any vet?   Even if no experienced obstetrician, he may come with good advice anyway.   I mean, dont rush a cesarean unless you are sure its for saving moms life, but as long as you discuss and take conservative examinations, it should be OK.  For example, if he is skilled at palpitating and feels them move.  Or has access to an ultra sound - there you can see them move.  Also, I suspect the ultrasound irritates them somewhat, so they do move, if they are alive...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just because you do not feel kitten movement does not mean the kittens are dead. They may be moving into position to be born soon.

If she conceived the week of May 25th, the kittens will likely be born in another week or so.

I never really saw kitten movement in my cat's belly, especially towards the end, and she was huge, and birthed 4 healthy kittens. I think you should try not to worry and wait for your cat to give birth.

Last edited:

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started feeling the kittens move about five days ago. I think theyre getting too big to move around now because i dont really feel them move anymore.. I was just over reacting lol.. But the last possible day she conceived was may 28th so I think now im just playing the waiting game. I have been keeping her confined to my room with her birthing box, food, water, and litter so hopefully soon! Im so excited for the little ones!

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're welcome [emoji]9786[/emoji]️ she also started being extra lovable and she loves when i rub her belly, she rolls completely on her back so ill do it! Heres a picture of her

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You're welcome [emoji]9786[/emoji]️ she also started being extra lovable and she loves when i rub her belly, she rolls completely on her back so ill do it! Heres a picture of her
NOW we are nearing.  We got the count rectyfied, apparently she become preg at the last datum or immediately before...  The tummy rubbings is common a couple of days before the delivery. They help also the delvery hormones get going.

Does she seem a little smaller?  It could explain why you felt them move several days now, but you dont feel them no longer.

If she DROPs, they arent as movable.

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does look a bit smaller but still obviously pregnant.. Im expecting her labor any day now!

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay she is 68 days pregnant at the least, and she is huge.. And i still feel the babies movies a lot, im sick of waiting!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She'll go into labor anytime now - hang in there! Just when it seems like they won't - they do :).

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no babies, i can still see and feel them moving and two days ago i noticed what i think was her mucus plug, it was almost like a bloody green kind of color but she is still showing no signs of labor or prelabor

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been 71 days!

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No and ive been checking frequently, i wiped her down there with a warm washcloth, i read that it can help in over due cats lol but that probably wasn't true

juel00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bu the time they come out they'll be full grown!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If labor doesn't start by tomorrow you should call your vet.