Pregnant cat, first litter for me and her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anorissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its funny and cute to watch her figure all this kitten stuff out. When I moved them and she went to move them back, she couldn't figure out how to pick them up lol. I swear she carried one kitten by the side of its head (the kitten is fine though, still wiggling no injuries). And she'll just look at them, and look at me and meow like "What are these things?" lmao

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
New box looks great - glad she likes it! I can understand why you have to keep her caged with no door on the garage.

The cords fall off on their own in a few days when they've dried up and the naval heals. No need to do anything. :)

anorissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yup, three kittens, all tabby's. Now that I know their coloring, I'm pretty sure who the father is. Before I noticed that Naira was pregnant, there had been another brown tabby with a long bushy tail hanging around. I bet that cat was a male. I got a trap (am currently trying to catch Naira's mother so I can get her spayed), so I'll have to see if I can catch him and get him neutered.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spaying and neutering is definitely the way to go.

You should begin thinking ahead to what your plans are for the kittens when they begin leaving the nest and wanting to explore. Will you bring them in? They would need inside time with their mom too, so she can teach them manners. Even if you have to cage them again at night.

anorissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to make sure they're socialized. I'll hold them when they're older, maybe get a dog pen so they can play in the grass. I won't keep them inside though, cause I have no clue what my dog would do with a kitten. I might take them in for a few minutes, with the dog in another room so they can get used to what it feels like to be inside, and get used to the presence of a dog and the sound of a dog barking, but they won't be inside 24/7 or the dog will start trying to get to them, and probably tear up stuff. 

I might pick up some harnesses too for when they're older (if I can find really small harnesses) and try to leash-train them. That way they can walk around the yard without me worrying about them getting lost or going somewhere where I can't get them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure harness-training kittens that young is a good idea. We'd need to ask someone with harness training experience.

You will probably need to re-home the kittens as soon as possible since they will need a loving home to actually live in without a dog or with other pets that can be trusted.

The mama will need to be spayed and re-homed too, as living in a cage is not ideal, and she deserves a proper home and not just being turned out. It's nice you've saved her kittens though.

You clearly have a loving heart and can't help that your dog makes it impossible to have cats in the house. It's a shame he is not calmer.

Do you know people who might want a kitten and are responsible?

anorissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I plan on giving the kittens away when they are 12 weeks. Naira will be spayed after the kittens are weaned and will then be allowed to roam wherever she wants, she is used to being an outside cat and will be fine. I don't think she'd be able to live in side with anyone but me anyways, she's skittish around other people. Her mother (Mama) will also be released back into the wild once she's spayed, for she has been feral for too long to be re-homed. Living in the country, my mom and I don't mind having outside cats as long as their spayed and neutered because it keeps the mouse population down. Before Mama and Naira showed up, we had a big mouse problem (went through more than 5 packs of decon)

Oh, I wish my dog were calmer. I can't let him near cats without supervision, and I can't let him near children or dogs at all or he will attack them (he's been aggressive ever since he was a pup, he has small dog syndrome)

One of my co-workers is very interested in a kitten, so I will let her pick from Mama's only kitten (who is ready to go to a new home now once I catch it), or from one of Naira's. If I none of my other friends/people I know want a kitten, I'm gonna see if my vet will let me put up a flyer in their office. I plan on charging people I don't know $5 or $10 for a kitten, so that its more of a commitment, and will donate the money to the local animal shelter (which is no-kill. I'll also let the people know the money will be donated, I will make no profit off of the kittens)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good. I'd get those flyers up starting when they are four weeks old and consider re-homing them at 8 weeks before they turn skittish and become outdoor cats. If you can't find homes for them you'll have to get them fixed too.

It's really a shame that one small dog dictates to the entire household.

Britt060814

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, she will probably engorge with milk then when her kittens come. So she's not using the litter box at all? Where does she go? I would hope she'd start using the litter box soon so she can be outside the crate eventually with her kittens. If she will learn the litter box, she might make a very sweet housecat! :)
Could you please look at my post and give me some advice?