Pregnant Cat but gone skinny and hyper

daniellaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat feels like it has been pregnant forever! Only a week ago she was hardly moving, feeling sorry for herself etc and was huge! I even felt the babies move. Last week her nipples were crusty from what I'm assuming was her milk.

Fast forward today, she's gone skinnier. Very hyper running around which she hasn't done in about a month. I can still feel a little buldge, but her nipples are no longer swollen but still a bit bigger than usual.

The vets have been useless so will be trying to find a new one today and hopefully get her an appointment!

Is this normal? Is she still pregnant even?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,

My cat feels like it has been pregnant forever! Only a week ago she was hardly moving, feeling sorry for herself etc and was huge! I even felt the babies move. Last week her nipples were crusty from what I'm assuming was her milk.

Fast forward today, she's gone skinnier. Very hyper running around which she hasn't done in about a month. I can still feel a little buldge, but her nipples are no longer swollen but still a bit bigger than usual.

The vets have been useless so will be trying to find a new one today and hopefully get her an appointment!

Is this normal? Is she still pregnant even?
I presume she has "dropped" and the delivery is near.

Having dropped she has easier to move now, compared with when she was as biggest.

IF not, she isnt no longer pregnant, say, had a spontane abort, and ate up the leftovers, so you dont find them. (not common, but happens occasionally).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daniellaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I presume she has "dropped" and the delivery is near.

Having dropped she has easier to move now, compared with when she was as biggest.

IF not, she isnt no longer pregnant, say, had a spontane abort, and ate up the leftovers, so you dont find them. (not common, but happens occasionally).

Thank you for your response.

It was only last week I noticed her nipples have gone crusty probably from the milk and I was told it would happen within a couple of days and were now 8 days later.

I will be taking her to another vet today.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Crusty nippels are common near the end.

when had you noticed she is slimmer?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Crusty nipples is a good indicium delivery is near, but its no sure prediction.

but momma dropping, ir suddenly seems less preg, is a much safer prediction.

during the time be sure she gets calcium rich food.
Low level of calcium makes labor weaker.

daniellaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. Crusty nipples is a good indicium delivery is near, but its no sure prediction.

but momma dropping, ir suddenly seems less preg, is a much safer prediction.

during the time be sure she gets calcium rich food.
Low level of calcium makes labor weaker.
n-
So I noticed the crusty nipples last Thursday. Until 2 days ago, she was quite large width ways, no energy, Sleeping and very agitated.
As of 2/3 days ago, she's very hyper. Running around all day and night. and now she is skinny, tiny round belly but definitely does not look pregnant anymore!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does she go outside at all? If so, perhaps she had kittens outside. If not, have you searched your home?

Another thought is a false pregnancy. This happens occasionally.

Did a vet confirm a pregnancy?

Regardless, an x-ray at the vet will show whether she is pregnant or not. If not, please set a spay appointment.

Keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It was a good catch! IF she had her kittens outside, she will of course run around hyper nervous, if she got stuck inside....

D daniellaxxxx

daniellaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she go outside at all? If so, perhaps she had kittens outside. If not, have you searched your home?

Another thought is a false pregnancy. This happens occasionally.

Did a vet confirm a pregnancy?

Regardless, an x-ray at the vet will show whether she is pregnant or not. If not, please set a spay appointment.

Keep us posted!

Hi,

No she stays inside. She is an indoor cat but we moved 2 months ago and she managed to get out and ran away for a week. Came back pregnant.

I know she was pregnant as I could feel them moving.

daniellaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all.

My cat has been pregnant for a while and noticed she had gone very skinny so i became very worried for her.

I took her to the vets, paid for her to have a scan and it came back that she has 3 kittens in the birth canal which they believe all have now passed away.

Their concern is that my cat needs the operation to stop her from becoming poorly which will cost £970. The vet checked my insurance and said pregnancy covered related issues is not included and I don't have those kind of funds available to me.

They will not do payment plans, Ive rang a few rescue places.

Looks like the only option I have to save her is by signing her over to cat protection, which me and my children will be ever so heartbroken as she is part of pur family.

Please any advise is so welcome

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
D daniellaxxxx I think if you don't go ahead with the c-section there is a very good chance your cat will die. I'm sorry that you are going through this, but if surrendering her is the only way to ensure she gets the surgery she needs that's what you need to do.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose, once the operation done, you can try and re-adopt her from the shelter in question; paying the usual adoption fee.

Im sure they will hesitate; once surrended is surrended. And your name is tained with them.
But if they dont have acceptable adoption homes lined up, they may consider you as acceptable... Why, volunteer there some hours if it helps things.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she must have the surgery to save her life. I am also sorry that it has come to this, and this is a reason why we always advise spaying cats.

Do ask if you might adopt her back after she is signed over and treated. Some of the rescue services may be amenable to this.

My heart goes out to you and your children. Please keep us updated.

D daniellaxxxx

daniellaxxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

My cat had the surgery this afternoon.

However, this has turned out a lot worse than assumed. Unfortunately, the placenta had ruptured and the 3 kittens were floating about in her abdomen.

The surgeon said this was an even bigger operation then they initially thought.He said it was the worst case he’s ever seen in the years he’s been a vet. They are so surised she didn’t pass away before hand or during.

the next 24 hours are citical, she needs around the clock care.

I will keep you all up to date.

Thank you so much for your advice

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That she is hanging in there tells me that she is a fighter and has a strong system.

:vibes::vibes:For a full recovery!

Do keep us posted!