Pregnant Cat And New At Fostering

IsauraS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I just recently started fostering cats. My first group was of 5 kittens. They had a rough start and were all sick. But after a week of medication they were healthy and running around as kittens should.

About 2 weeks ago I was asked if I could take a pregnant female. I agreed because if they couldn't find someone to take her the place was going to put her down. The female seemed fine then a week later I noticed she had trouble breathing and was very congested. But my kittens (I still had 3) started showing symptoms and were sneezing. I've had the mamma cat in her own room, she's not free to roam the house but she's not in a cage either. I also have 2 cats of my own and noticed one of them was vomiting and sleeping a lot. I took her to the vet, she seems to be doing better. Two of the kittens are gone and I kept one, who is still taking medicine.

The pregnant cat will finish her medicine tomorrow. She is very pregnant and will probably be giving birth in a week or two. I cleaned tray in the cage, wash the towels in the room regularly, and have a huge bottle of Purell in the room so I don't accidentally contaminate any of the cats. She is healthier and more active and eating well. She's always very happy to see me and plays with her toys.

My worry is that I don't know how much more I have to clean to make sure her kittens don't get sick when they are born. I want them to stay healthy until it is time to leave to be fixed and adopted. Is she still contagious? Are any of my cats still contagious? Should I take the whole cage out and hose it down? Am I getting too paranoid?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! If it were me, i'd double check with my vet, they'll be the best source of info, and go ahead and clean the cage with a sprayer of maybe bleach, dawn soap and water, then a really good hose rinse...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsauraS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok, so I am not being paranoid. I will clean the cage and even the litter box just to make sure. Thanks!