Pregnant Cat Always Sleeping?

judygarlandmacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is very young (just under a year old) and is pregnant. She used to be a very energetic and lively cat but in recent days she is sleeping a lot. She is nearing her due date and I am concerned if anything is wrong?

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat I am currently fostering is getting close as well and she is sleeping a ton these days too. I personally think it's normal, pregnancy is tiring, but I'm not an expert ;) This is my first experience with an expectant momma.
But I do know there is a difference between just sleeping more and being lethargic. If you find she's not getting up to eat, drink, or use the litterbox or looking glazed over but awake and just not moving - then that is a sign of concern for sure.
How many days does she have left?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s normal. Do you plan to spay your cat after this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judygarlandmacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am unsure how many days left because I am unsure exactly when she mated as I adopted her and realised she was pregnant soon after although she is an indoor cat. I plan to get her spayed as soon as possible after pregnancy. She is still eating and pooping as normal and is still wandering around

judygarlandmacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any tips on birth and/or kitten care? I have read all articles on this website but anything extra?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ou, she looks young! I know many petite female looks as kittens although fully adult, but she does looks young!

Young mothers are often good, but sometimes it takes time for everything to kick in. So be extra prepared. Have gears for handraising - including kmr or goats milk, a scale, a small syringe.

Good if you can be present when delivery, so you can assist her if necessary. Also, if she likes you, she will probably want you to be near. Be a baby sitter if nothing else.

judygarlandmacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, we get on very well and I'm her primary caregiver, so I will do my best to be nearby during the birth. Where could I get kmr? A pet store? Also does the goats milk have to be liquid?
Ou, she looks young! I know many petite female looks as kittens although fully adult, but she does looks young!

Young mothers are often good, but sometimes it takes time for everything to kick in. So be extra prepared. Have gears for handraising - including kmr or goats milk, a scale, a small syringe.

Good if you can be present when delivery, so you can assist her if necessary. Also, if she likes you, she will probably want you to be near. Be a baby sitter if nothing else.
Yeah, we get on very well and I'm her primary caregiver, so I will do my best to be nearby during the birth. Where could I get kmr? A pet store? Also does the goats milk have to be liquid?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Walmart has KMR in powder made by PetAg, its the best brand. A good petstore has it usually too. There are other brands, most are OK. Do avoid Hartz.

goats milk in powder is OK - I know at least one rescuer whom prefers to use powdered goats milk.
Just be sure its no funny diet version with much reduced fat.
It shall be minimum 2.8 procent in the liquid (yes, its somewhat reduced but acceptable)

If you dont need it for the kittens, you can give momma, esp if the litter is big. Or use it yourself. Especielly goats milk is good nourishment for humans too.

judygarlandmacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I dont unfortunately have access to walmart as I live in Ireland, but I'm sure the petstore will have the stuff. Thanks very much! Will update when kittens arrive