Pregnant cat advice - please

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a breeder, I archive my kittens and their weightgain. If I look back, many of my kittens have days they gain little to none. At a little older age (6 weeks) I also have days with weightloss, and it always comes around the day after. I learned not to freak out too fast and look at it logical. If the kitten is playful/active and not more vocal or less vocal, let nature do its work. One day less weightgain is nothing to worry about. As long as they gain, they gain. My alarmbells ring when the kittens act differently and/or lose weight. I only help if it's really needed as mom's milk is best and you want them to continue on that if possible. Nature is very strong, but keep a close eye just in case you are needed after all ;)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been booked in since she delivered for spaying, Luna was a house cat and the Tom broke in.... Lol lesson learnt! I also have great homes for the kittens we have to families that have kept their cat till their last breath!
Those toms are persistent! Good for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmat0390

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a breeder, I archive my kittens and their weightgain. If I look back, many of my kittens have days they gain little to none. At a little older age (6 weeks) I also have days with weightloss, and it always comes around the day after. I learned not to freak out too fast and look at it logical. If the kitten is playful/active and not more vocal or less vocal, let nature do its work. One day less weightgain is nothing to worry about. As long as they gain, they gain. My alarmbells ring when the kittens act differently and/or lose weight. I only help if it's really needed as mom's milk is best and you want them to continue on that if possible. Nature is very strong, but keep a close eye just in case you are needed after all ;)
Thank you so much all have gained 8g today was just a shock as they have all been gaining at least 13g per day. Suppose us cat grannies worry more than the mums do! Thank you so much for a good informed feedback X

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much all have gained 8g today was just a shock as they have all been gaining at least 13g per day. Suppose us cat grannies worry more than the mums do! Thank you so much for a good informed feedback X
Sounds very good! At some point they just settle down and grow a little less hard than they did before. You will most likely also notice they gain less when they become more active (walking around the room for the first time e.g.) because they will use all their energy. That also will improve over time as they will learn to eat more the more active the are. The same goes for when you start introducing wetfood/dryfood. It's all part of the learning, and it's amazing to see how fast they learn! It still mesmerizes me and I, as grandma haha, always feel so proud when they go through those milestones! Enjoy your time with them and lots of luck to you <3 If anything else makes you worried, don't hesitate to ask. You too go through that learning curve of becoming a catgranny ^^

Last edited:

emmat0390

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds very good! At some point they just settle down and grow a little less hard than they did before. You will most likely also notice they gain less when they become more active (walking around the room for the first time e.g.) because they will use all their energy. That also will improve over time as they will learn to eat more the more active the are. The same goes for when you start introducing wetfood/dryfood. It's all part of the learning, and it's amazing to see how fast they learn! It still mesmerizes me and I, as grandma haha, always feel so proud when they go through those milestones! Enjoy your time with them and lots of luck to you

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll want to make sure that the little one gets good nipple time too. If she continues to get pushed off, she will get weaker, and then more complacent, and that's how scary situations develop. As you're weighing them, you're keeping a close eye and this won't happen. You can always try putting her to a nipple when the pushy babies are sleeping.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! Please keep an eye on the runts! Complacent is not always good!

emmat0390

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You'll want to make sure that the little one gets good nipple time too. If she continues to get pushed off, she will get weaker, and then more complacent, and that's how scary situations develop. As you're weighing them, you're keeping a close eye and this won't happen. You can always try putting her to a nipple when the pushy babies are sleeping.
Black baby number 1 is 118g
Black baby number 2 is 139g
Grey baby is 135g
And tigger baby is 132g all good weights ;-)

I most certainly do, she chose the nipple closest to the floor - luckily Luna doesn't mind me positioning her and get little girl to latch on. This is why I am weighing the kittens to ensure that I have and can do everything I possibly can for them. X

emmat0390

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Black baby number 1 is 118g
Black baby number 2 is 139g
Grey baby is 135g
And tigger baby is 132g all good weights ;-)

I most certainly do, she chose the nipple closest to the floor - luckily Luna doesn't mind me positioning her and get little girl to latch on. This is why I am weighing the kittens to ensure that I have and can do everything I possibly can for them. X
Forgot to mention they are all 9 days old now and all weigh over 200g x