PREGNANT CAT - ADVICE PLEASE

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwozza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice, I have been holding to my chest, wrapped in my dressing gown for about a hour, on and off taking it back to mum, I have just popped it back to my, and helped it to a nipple, and it seemed to bu sucking, so just going to keep a close eye on it for now, mummy seemed to know I was helping it, and didnt mind my popping it on her nipple or holding it there, so just going to kep doing that, every hour or so, for now, as you both said ummys milk is best, so even if i have to get up every few hours tonight, to help it feed i will do

jinn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your doing everything right :) keep us posted please and good luck

cuzin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Congratulations on your new grandkids!!

From my experience with rescue kittens, warm wheat bags are great to help warm them up.

With feeding, if the little one won't  feed/can't feed, get to the vet asap, and learn ow to gavage (tube)  feed it. You will find that using a syringe with some sugar water in it (warm) may well give it the energy to start to suckle on its own though, as someone else said.

Sending you lots of good wishes from across the other side of the world!!

Cuz 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cwozza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gs - he/she is now nice and warm, and has been feeding well of mummy, so fingers crossed I will have 4 healthy kittens

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is excellent news that you got the kitten warmed up and he/ she is able to nurse!   Keep making sure he and the other kittens are warm,  and normally should be nursing every few hours. 

Can you weigh them daily at about the same time, using a scale that measures in small amounts ( grams or small fractions of an ounce)?    That is a good way to see right away if the kittens are getting enough milk.  Ideally they should be putting on about 10-20 grams a day ( about 1/3- 2/3 ounce) .    but it is not a big concern  if they don't gain that 10 gram minimum in the first day.  they just went through being born which uses up some energy;  also the queen's first milk  ( colostrum)  with the big dose of maternal antibodies has fewer calories than her milk will have after that.