Pregnant Cat Acting Like She Is In Heat

Sarah Bearah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I had been begging to get my cat (Blizzard, turns one year on the 11th of August) fixed as soon as she was old enough. My parents kept saying, "We will do it," but kept putting it off. Then we learned that you could only come in on the first Thursday and register your cat(s)/dog(s) for spaying/neutering. My parents have a bad habit of thinking my cat won't run outside.
This all lead to my cat getting out sometime in June and, I think, getting pregnant. I may be a week or so off, but I believe she just entered her seventh week. She had started meowing and doing this trill thing which is like a vocalized purr. She kept doing this and I thought that maybe she was having pains from the babies growing? So I pet her and she pressed her entire body to the ground and moved her tail to the side. She didn't tread the ground but kept trilling non-stop like she does in heat, and then she started to roll around on the ground and headbutt anything she could find. The only time she stopped was when I pet her tummy.
I have had 1 pregnant cat be she didn't show signs and only one kitten was fully developed, and came out breach baby style. But Blizzard always looked underfed, so when she suddenly started packing on pounds at her tummy I was worried. Anyways, I had palpated other animals but didn't want hurt her possible kitten so I gently rubbed her tummy three or so days ago and felt two on one side, and couldn't get her to let me see the other side.
One more thing, she'd been acting like she was in heat about 30 mins ago and then left my room. I had no idea where she was in the house (probably in the living room) but then she came back up and is now laying down silently. Any ideas?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They can have heat alike behavior during pregnancy, esp late in the pregnancy. It may be the internal pressure on the glands making it...
Continue to read on and prepare for the delivery!

Ah, try ot remember exactly when she went outside to mate, it will pinpoint the possibilites quite a closer better than a wild guess.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarah Bearah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought my cat was just having hormonal heat like behavior, but upon more research she appears to be in the first stage of birth, but I'm worried. Unless my dates are off (they could be) she is in her 7/8 week. Is this going to be too soon??

Sarah Bearah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she appear in labor and having contractions?
She looks to be in labor, no babies yet but lots of crying and kinda looks like she is having contractions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she's not full term the kittens may be premature and not live.

It does sound like something is going on. Try to comfort and calm her if she will let you.

Sarah Bearah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's not full term the kittens may be premature and not live.

It does sound like something is going on. Try to comfort and calm her if she will let you.
When is full term? She's really demanding that I be around her and pet her, so I am trying to comfort her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Full-term is about 63 to 68 days.

Is it possible she is full-term?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess you'll have to wait this out since it's unclear how far along she is, and she may or may not be in full-blown labor.

Keep us posted!

Sarah Bearah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure what had happened but Blizzard has quieted down, I can still feel her babies :)

Sarah Bearah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sad to say, Blizzard did not have kittens.

I've been gently rubbing her belly and I cannot feel bumps anymore- for the past two weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How strange. Can you register to get her spayed now? The first Thursday of September will be week after next.