Pregnant Anxious Cat

Anxiousgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For some backstory, I work at a small farm with two queens; one is older and very experienced and one that is pregnant with her second litter. Once the older cat dies this new mother, Rose, is going to be their main queen.
Last year Rose had her first litter at around 1 year old. She had eight kittens and insisted that I stay for their births. She was meowing and wouldn't let me leave the room and eventually curled up in a small nest and had her kittens. She hardly ever left her kittens and was the best mother we have had yet. She ended up squishing/suffocating four of her kittens, the four youngest, before they were two weeks old. The remaining four grew strong and healthy and were later adopted.
This next month Rose is going to have her second litter at the age of two. I know that it is probably best to let nature take its course, but is there anything I can do to prevent her from killing more kittens?

The people who own the cats are very nice, but don't have any time to care for abandoned kittens. They are willing to let me care for any kittens that are abandoned or weak so I would be able to care for extra kittens if needed.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason these cats are not spayed? Are the kittens being sold?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you talk to the owners about spaying instead? These girls don't need to be having litter after litter. They will live longer lives if they are spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anxiousgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really have a say in the matter. I just don't like to see kittens die.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand! Getting the girls spayed is 100% the best thing you can do, and would prevent all future kitten deaths. Maybe you could look into some options in your area and help the owners out.