Pregnant Agian :(

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This may not sit well with some here, but I do not believe it is ethical to spay/abort late term in a cat any more than it is in humans. If a cat is still early on in the term, then yes, fine, do it. But if she is more than 4 or 5 weeks maximum, then IMO, it is too late to do it and the pregnancy should be allowed to progress. That now being said, this thread is about Sydney and what ~she~ should do for her cat, not what I would do.

You do have a unique situation in that you have a litter of kittens already and allowing this pregnancy may put undue and unnecessary physical burden upon your girl. You should carefuly weigh your options, speak frankly and candidly with your vet and make the decision based on what is best for YOUR cat in YOUR home with YOUR circumstances. What others would do may not be in the best interest of your girl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you!

I just made her a spay appt for tomorow, Ill keep her there overnight just for the first night, i dont want the babies bugging her right after surgery.

Wish us luck!

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my only thing would be to call your vet and see what they suggest. Some won't do a late spay and some won't spay while nursing. My vets won't spay while nursing since it makes the surgery harder, there is a higher chance for infection, and it can take longer for them to heal (think this was the 3rd reason she gave, but may be wrong on this one). So I say call and ask your vet what they suggest.

emmamcewan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone said you would not get preggers yourself 2 months after just giving Birth.....In my case I did.lol. Just thought would share that lol.

IMO I would not get her sprayed. I have not got alot of experience in this I know but again just my opinion as she is so far on surgery or labour IMO not much of a dif........kittens die through this,may survive if born and mommy cat will have to heal after surgery just as after labour.

If worried about getting them rehomed then money is not an object as in kittens best intrest sell them cheaper etc.Not that you have made a point of saying anything about money(sorry)

Please dont take any of what I have said the wrong way.Not meant in bad way.

Love to all cats and cat owners.x

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have her spayed too. And you've already decided to do so. I know she will be just fine after her surgery. A spay while pregnant is only slightly riskier due to increased blood flow to the area of the body, but if your vet has agreed to do one he knows what he's doing and can easily accomodate this. Thank you for having it done.

Are you going to be able to stay with the kittens the whole time she's gone for her surgery? I hope so! Make up some of those rice socks as has been suggested and get a little bit of KMR just in case they want to nurse a little in addition to their food. And settle in for a nice movie or something while the kittens crawl all over you. You'll have to help mama kitty once she comes back a little bit since she'll be sore, but she'll do just fine. Much better than she'd be able to do with so many kittens boom-boom after the other.

Best Wishes!

kinsey's pet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

If you know that "it is bad that the litters are so close together" but the fact that they are papered and purebred and they can be sold for $400 makes you want to forget about the risk and go through with it anyway? So are you saying that putting the cats life at jeopardy to make a little extra money is a good idea? Sorry if I misunderstood you but that is what it sounded like. That is why it is recommended to spay the cat, because of two litters so close together, it is a big risk on all their lives for a cat to have such close litters. Breeders are not breeding to make money either. They don't make money, with all the vet bills and upkeep of their cattery.
I totally understand why its bad that she is pregnant so soon and why she should have kept them apart. i didnt understand why she HAD to spay the cat.
No you TOTALLY misunderstood me. I was saying that since she can sell the kittens for more money that it would be different than some mixbreed cat getting pregnant by who-knows-what kind of male cat. It wouldnt be like free or $10 kittens. To pay $300 and up someone would really have to want a cat. Its not like the kittens would be going to any stranger off the street with a five dollar bill. I wasnt even thinking about the profit. I was thinking about who would buy the kittens.

So are you guys saying that people should never breed their cats ever? Or just that she shouldnt since she doesnt have breeding rights?

I am honestly just curious about when its ok and when its not to breed a cat. (dont worry I am NOT considering breeding Kinsey)

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously as they both have pedigree parents they woudl be easier to sell, but they may still be unregistered without papers, which makes them no better than moggies. I think the only time cats should be bred is by reputable breeders who breed top quality cats who have been screened for health issues to better the breed, and improve things within the breed, or it shouldn't be done, as there are too many cats already needing homes. By breeding cats that are only pet quality, you aren't going to get top quality kittens, and there is also a risk of potential health probs in the future too.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The owners can register them though? If they have the papers for the mom and dad?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

The owners can register them though? If they have the papers for the mom and dad?
Not necessarily. Here in the UK you wouldnt be able to register them. Only cats that are on the active register are allowed to have their offspring registered. Kittens that are not sold specifically for breeding are placed on the non active register and any offspring cannot be registered. Cats can be moved from the non active register to the active register but only with the permission of the original breeder.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was an accidental pregnancy, and the cat's owner doesn't want to be a breeder and doesn't want to purchase breeding rights. It's not just buying breeding rights, you have to buy breeding-quality cats, which are different than pet-quality cats. The op has pet-quality cats, who bred on accident, and had the girl spayed during the second pregnancy. She wasn't trying to breed, it wasn't planned, etc.

kinsey's pet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. Yeah I wasnt really referring to the situation just the rules and stuff. I just wanted to understand this stuff. I am curious about the rules and guidelines for breeding. I realize it was an accident I just meant in order to sell the kittens with papers you must own the breeding rights for the parents correct?
I am not a breeder at all. I dont know anything about this stuff.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you must buy breeding rights and a breeding quality cat, and the breeder who sells them must know that you intend to have a breeding program. Responsible breeders spend years researching the breed, working with a mentor, showing (sometimes not showing), before they begin selling kittens-- and they never make a profit. If you want to know more about responsible breeding, the breeder's forum here is a good place to start and they are willing to answer any honest questions you have.

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
good luck with momma
and btw the kittens u had ion that picture wer ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL
u are so lucky

keep posted x