Pregnant Again?

joanna319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My momma cat has finally stopped nightly nursing her two 11 week old healthy babies (she loves being a mom and wont leave them alone!) which I was waiting for so I could get her spayed. Looking at her this morning, I am suspicious she is pregnant again. She did go into heat a few weeks ago and I kept her in, but somehow she escaped out of the letterbox! She is very dainty and the vet says she wouldnt have more than 2 kittens due to her size when I took her for pre birth check up. She is very healthy on a top diet, fit and well so I would like to know whether it is too soon for her to have another litter now and should go ahead with the spay, or let her have them and keep them along with her other 2?? I would love another 2, but dont want her health jeopardised if it puts her at risk, or risks it by having the op when pregnant. Any advice please?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should have her spayed. It is very stressful to her system to be pregnant again back-to-back.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please have her spayed.

You can always adopt more kittens in need, but your mama cat doesn't need to put her body through this again.

It's time for the kittens to be fixed too!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It IS stressful for them to have litters back to back, but I have had several young ferals who have had kittens less than three months apart with no problems. She would need extra nutrition and calories, give kitten food and replacement milk to build her up. I myself would have her spayed because every kitten we bring into the world takes away a home from another. Do it before you know for sure so it is not so stressful for you if you decide to go that route. I will back you no matter which way you go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joanna319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback, she has been on high protein kitten diet for the last 4 months, and is in tip top shape. I agree in principle about bringing more kittens into the world, which is why yep, kittens are going for op! I wouldnt adopt any more kittens and would keep them myself so no impact on population looking for homes. Taking her to vet tomorrow for full health check & discuss with him, if ok I am inclined to let her have them as ending potential lives doesnt sit well with me, and being housebound with a disability means they are my constant and only companions. Anyway, will follow vets advice whatever that is.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if she has 7 kittens in this litter? That's a lot more draining on mom, and also on you.

Also, can you explain what you meant by escaping out of the letterbox? Is there a way to prevent that happening again?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you want her to have the kittens if she is but want to double check if she'll be okay. Please have an open chat with the vet and ask what he thinks about it as as she could well have more than 2 kittens which means you may have to rehome these too. I'm sure I've read on here you can spay muma at 8 weeks.