Pregnant 68 Days, Bloody Discharge?

Rfdkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, first time posting so I hope I’m doing this correctly! My pregnant cat (two years old) Is on day 68 and I’m starting to get a bit worried for her. I noticed this bloody discharge about 5 hours ago and was wondering if this is normal? 12 days ago there was a tiny bit of yellowish mucus. She had an ultrasound at 30 days and a singleton was observed. Her temperature dropped over 48 hours ago is around 37.3-37.5 degrees. The kitten is moving quite a bit inside. Ive read about kittens ‘dropping’ before birth. How low do they actually drop? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As long its watery discharge its normal. I suppose its nearing.

But if its lotsa of real blood its alarming!

Usually when she drops you dont feel the kittens as much. But if it is a singleton he isnt squuizeed as much and has more place to move.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rfdkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thank you for the reply!

It is a brown/red mucus that has no odour. It comes out in a string while she’s laying on her side....she then cleans herself up. She does not appear distressed. Is purring a bit. And is eating and drinking. I have not seen much movement today from the kitten today. I’m hoping labor is near and trying not to worry! Also, her teats are much bigger than yesterday. Overnight they seem to have doubled in size!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How is she doing now? I think that it doesn’t seem like too much discharge, so she should be fine. Keep an eye on her, though. If she starts having a lot of discharge that is brown or green or smells bad, that can indicate infection.

This article has more information: Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Rfdkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is currently resting. She is either day 68 or 69 today. She would have mated on January 21st or 22nd. Earlier there was a larger amount that looked dark but very much like the consistency of mucus. She got up and started walking and it dripped out onto the sheet so it got it into a specimen cup just incase it needed to be analyzed. It has absolutely no odour. I have attached photos here. It slowly came out in these stringy bits and continued to discharge for about an hour while she relaxed. There’s been nothing since. I’m likely going to call my vet to ask for advice. She is eating and drinking normally. And I can still feel movement in her belly. She doesn’t leave her nesting box much the last two days. She trembles a bit sometimes and I’m not sure if they’re contractions. She is not pushing though and appears quite content. I am starting to get slightly worried since we are approaching day 70... but trying to stay calm for everyone’s sake!

Attachments

Rfdkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also thank you so much for the replies! It is truly appreciated!!!

Rfdkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just started having very visible contractions! She seems to be pushing a bit as she goes into a squat position. No panting and not crying at all. Making little noises and cleaning herself. From what I understand it should take minutes to hours. Is this correct? What is the maximum? Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Active pushing phase shouldnt be too long. Under one hour. Shorter than with humans.
Prelabor may be even 24 hours.

If the active pushing phase is more than 40 monutes contact a vet be ready to rush in. R Rfdkitty

Rfdkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We brought her to the emergency vet after 45 minutes of labor. It was determined that the kittens head was bigger than her pelvis and could not fit. She was given a c section and we waited and waited for an hour. The kitten did not survive. He stopped breathing during surgery. I don’t know why. I am heartbroken and feel like there is no answer and I blame myself for what has happened. This is one of the worst days of my life :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. You did a great job by getting mom to the emergency vet. Was she spayed during the c-section?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how upsetting that can be.

Don't blame yourself for what happened. Taking her to the emergency vet was the right thing to do, and it sounds like you did it very promptly. You did everything right! Sometimes kittens don't survive and it is not your fault.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are there any other kittens?

If not she can perhaps be a foster momma? Even ifbthe fresh scar will bother her.

Rfdkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your kind words.

There was only one kitten. From what I understood, her pelvis is 2.2 and the kittens head was 2.5. Therefore he just couldn’t move forward.
Today has been very tough. I truly believe she is looking for her baby everywhere and it’s so very upsetting.
I am trying my best to make her feel better..
They tried for over and hour to resuscitate the kitten and nothing helped.. I was too upset to ask many questions at the time. She wasn’t my regular vet as it was an emergency and of course the weekend. The vet initially told me she hadn’t done many c sections in cats. I was very nervous.
I know I cannot change anything that happened. We can only move forward from here.

From what I have now read, the anesthesia itself could have been what caused the kitten to pass. Is this true? I am trying not to think about it too much. I’m just so glad my girl is ok. I’ve attached a photo of her after surgery. My regular vet will be In contact for a follow up in the next week.

Thank you for all your support through this terribly rough time. Its extremely helpful reading the replies when I’m such an emotional wreck.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dont think too much. Emergency cesarean has always some risks.
Its common not all make it.
The vet fighting on for so long bear a good witnessing on her. Hee being honest sounds good too...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally vets are very careful with the anesthesia during a c-section. I was told by a vet that after a kitten moves down into the pelvis, it's more challenging to get them out alive. However, you also don't want to perform a c-section too early, without giving your cat a good chance at delivering the kitten naturally. Try not to blame yourself. You did everything right, and went to the vet at the appropriate time. As StefanZ StefanZ says, it's common that not all kittens survive an emergency c-section, and unfortunately your girl just had one kitten.

Was she spayed during the c-section, or are you planning to try again?