Pregnancy on her first period

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are NOT people - they have no emotion regarding litters - its totally instinct. They are driven by hormones only - not whether they had babies or not.

Many cats are not cut out to be mothers. While the majority do know what to do and are fine, why take the chance? Better to neuter/spay then to allow to breed more unwanted kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have bad news. Although I decided to spay her, I couldn't find anywhere in here that could spay her before she gave birth. I had no choice but to let her have the kittens. She gave birth today to four kittens but now seems to have abandoned them. She walks around the house apparently looking for them but can't seen to find them, I'm guessing it's something about loosing the sense of smell of them or something.

I don't know what to do and I doubt there's anyone awake, I'm really worried that the kittens will die while I sleep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience caring for abandoned kittens, but this is a highly recommended site for kitten care

http://www.kitten-rescue.com

I hope that it helps while you wait for someone who knows what they're doing. It also might help to start a new thread in this same forum. Good luck with the little babies!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting her with the kittens in a large dog crate or even a bathroom?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Have you tried putting her with the kittens in a large dog crate or even a bathroom?
Yes. She just ignores them, she only feeds one of them. She randomly moves him around and feeds him a little, then leaves him on a corner and leaves.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have the supplies to hand feed them? the link Sandtigress posted tells you how to do it

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you contact local rescue groups to see if someone has a nursing mama who can take your little ones? Your veterinarian might also be able to help.

Meanwhile, keep the baby kittens warm - it sounds like you have a nesting box set up for them. If mama kitty isn't snuggling with them, use a water bottle, a sock filled with rice, or the other suggestions at http://www.kitten-rescue.com/cold_kitten.html.

Next is to make sure they're hydrated and fed. If your young mama isn't feeding them, you need to bottle feed them every 2-3 hours: http://www.kitten-rescue.com/bottle_feeding_kitten.html

Also make sure that mama kitty is healthy and comfortable - keep her food, water, and litter box nearby.