Preemptive coccidia treatment?

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Main questions: Where is a good place to get ponazuril for cheap online without a prescription? And would this even be the right decision for our situation?

Our two kittens' longterm (1+ months) diarrhea issues were recently confirmed to be from coccidiosis. They're on day 5 of a 5-day sulfa regimen. We steam-cleaned and bleached their crate pan, litter box, and food bowls, and steamed their bedding, some areas of carpet in the room they stay in, their cat tree, and various other surfaces. We also try to remove their feces soon after elimination. We plan to do a more thorough steaming today to prevent reinfection after their treatment is done.

We also have a semi-feral foster kitten (Tilly) who has been kept in a different crate in the same room for the last few weeks. She's around 10 months old and was at the shelter for a couple months during which time she was spayed and got all her vaccinations. We've had her for about 40 days now; the first couple weeks she had no contact with our kittens other than seeing them through her cage (she is in a soft mesh crate, so no physical interactions). The last three weeks or so, after the kittens went through rounds of pyrantel and metronidazole, we've allowed them to play together (always supervised) and moved their crates into the same room, and unfortunately the kittens have gone into her litter box a few times. She's also occasionally allowed to roam the room unsupervised when the kittens are in their crate. We plan to steam her crate after steaming the rest of the room (her bedding, litter box, bowls, etc. have already been treated). We haven't seen any signs of coccidiosis, BUT the last two days she's shown some inappetence and last night she vomited after drinking/eating some tuna water and boiled chicken water. There was also hair in the vomit. Otherwise she's acting normal.

This issues:
We assume she's been exposed to coccidia and would like to treat her, preferably with ponazuril rather than sulfa. Our shelter doesn't have ponazuril on-hand. Appointments at our vet are booked till mid-July (and other vets in the area aren't taking new patients), but we'd really like to avoid the stress of taking her to the vet. She is still very timid and only recently has allowed brief petting; it would be extremely difficult getting her into the carrier. Since she's not having diarrhea or acting lethargic a vet visit would basically be $150+ of traumatization for a wellness check and fecal panel (and we can't simply bring in a stool sample because she's not a patient there) just to get a script.
Right now we're exploring some options (finding the hospital that fixed/vaccinated her and seeing if they'll take a stool sample), but the easiest solution would be to get ponazuril somewhere online without a prescription and just treat her ourselves. It looks like eBay sells it but it's $80+ there so if there are cheaper sellers obviously that would be better.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is just me, but I never give my animals any prescription that did not originate with the vet. I do see your concern and I would try to see if the hospital who fixed Tilly could help you, if it is possible to find them. Will your shelter get this in within a reasonable amount of time or can they give you any advice?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or check with your regular Vet to see if they will simply give you the drug based on the fact that she has been around the other kittens and probably been exposed. They really shouldn't need to actually see her based on that info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or check with your regular Vet to see if they will simply give you the drug based on the fact that she has been around the other kittens and probably been exposed. They really shouldn't need to actually see her based on that info.
I did call, they don't want to prescribe anything without seeing her since she's not a patient of theirs :(

I think a lot of shelters and even fosters just buy ponazuril online and treat every cat that comes through without veterinary diagnosis, so I was hoping it would be easy enough to procure...

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
While this seems like a reasonable request, it is actually illegal for a veterinarian to prescribe medication without seeing the patient first. A veterinarian client patient relationship must exist prior to medical advice or prescriptions can be issued.
Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship (VCPR) FAQ

Just wanted to clarify why vets may not (and should not) comply with this request.

I did call, they don't want to prescribe anything without seeing her since she's not a patient of theirs :(

I think a lot of shelters and even fosters just buy ponazuril online and treat every cat that comes through without veterinary diagnosis, so I was hoping it would be easy enough to procure...

As far as finding ponazuril it is a horse dewormer. Not sure if it is OTC but a feed store could help you. Just be very accurate/careful with your dosing!
https://marquis.merial.com/

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
While this seems like a reasonable request, it is actually illegal for a veterinarian to prescribe medication without seeing the patient first. A veterinarian client patient relationship must exist prior to medical advice or prescriptions can be issued.
Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship (VCPR) FAQ

Just wanted to clarify why vets may not (and should not) comply with this request.

Thank you for this information. I guess I thought if the PERSON had a relationship with the Vet, it would be ok. Now I know

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to leave this here for future reference -

Diluting Marquis Paste - University of Wisconsin Madison Shelter Medicine Program

We rescue privately/independently, and finding vets experienced in shelter medicine who will work with us is almost impossible.

However, we’ve found 100% of the cats and kittens we take are infected with giardia (especially endemic in this area) and/or coccidia, so we treat them prophylactically according to uwsheltermedicine.com’s recommendations.

The above are coccidia dosing guidelines for the marquis paste mentioned above.