Preemie orphans

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosteremily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started him on wet kitten food mixed with his formula and he loves it. He sucks up the formula then attempts to eat the food. I have him a bottle this morning, then the food mixture and then another bottle. He is currently exploring my bedroom.
Never mind, he found a napping spot!!
I did buy a bag of dry food for kittens but I wasn't aware of the water intake difference until now!

Last edited by a moderator:

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And yes, unfortunately a lot of vets will recommend dry but more and more veterinary nutritionists and other nutrition savvy veterinarians ARE recommending and supporting the wet and raw food movement. That site that Maekaew posted a link to is a great one.

Some of the vets I work with who recommended dry for decades are just starting to support peoples' decision to feed wet only and raw. It's going to take time for more vets to switch but I'm so glad to see that at least some are looking into it and realizing that it is more or less, common sense when one compares wet and dry paired with our knowledge of our felines as obligate carnivores and water intake issues on dry. I remember a client who had been feeding raw for over 20 years and the vets always thought poorly of that. Now they really respect her for it and even that is a step in the right direction in my eyes.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  That's great he's really a fast learner with the food.      

This means it is going to be time to introduce a litter box.   

Sometimes bottle baby kittens especially singletons , can be slower about switching over to eliminating on their own and using the litter box.   Kittens with a mother cat get to see their mom using a litterbox and they learn from her.  

Not that they dont have the instinct .   You can try putting a little of his poop and a paper towel with his pee  in the box. 

Start out using non-clumping litter for the first few weeks  since  little kittens tend to explore their environment with their mouth and there is a risk he could eat some.                                                                

I do think it is OK to let kittens have some dry  to snack on.   but I feed mostly canned  or raw.   and personally I don't start them on dry this young.  I wait until more about 7 weeks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Following this thread and SO glad your little boy is doing so well. His photos are really cute.  

As he is currently doing so well and starting to get to that exploring and playing stage thought I'd chip in in case you hadn't had a single kitten before.  If you have then please ignore my novice input.  It's great you are in a position to have introduced a loving adoptive mummy in to his life as she will be able to teach him many important things about being a cat. As he doesn't have his siblings to play and learn with he will need to get much more of this from you and your human family. I think one of the biggest lessons to get involved with (and as early as possible) is his learning about bite pressure.  I've attached a link here which gives some suggestions. I originally found good advice about this on another site (used to be FAB but now International Cat Care) but since they changed to new format I can't find their information on kitten development - it's a shame as it was really good.  I adopted a single kitten at about 15 weeks but had been socializing with him for about 8 weeks prior to that. He had the benefit of a mummy who was extremely patient and with him constantly but still didn't have the same lessons from siblings biting him back and definitely needed extra clear human feedback! 

http://cats.about.com/od/amyshojai/a/9-tips-to-stop-cat-bites.htm

Good luck and looking forward to your continuing posts and pictures. 

fosteremily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much! I have been sticking with the wet food and put the dry food away in my closet for emergencies. He is getting a litter box tomorrow, he has a pen (rather large one at that) he stays in at night and he has started going to the bathroom, by himself, in the same corner. I had a shoe box with some torn up newspaper for now.
He is spending a lot of time with the cats at work. Spook, his adoptive mother, and her mother Milly have really taken to him. They play with him, clean him, nap with him and follow him around.
He is a chewer and I was actually thinking about his biting since he now has teeth. So thank you for the links guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Cuter and cuter -  To go from this
...................... If he survives me and the girls at work (all crazy cat ladies with kittens) have talked about having a kitty play date when he is older so he will be equally socialized with humans and felines a like!
to this - in less than 4 weeks.
He decided to climb a goat today
He is an amazing little trouper  
 and you are amazing for getting him this far.  It's so amazing to see the difference in him. :)    

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hey if you start life by being run over by a vehicle and born by premature c-section,  and can make it through that,  I guess nothing holds any fear! 

You'll have to be careful though because kittens' fearlessness can get them into trouble! 

He is a beautiful little guy and it is so nice to see him so big and strong.   

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
 Hey if you start life by being run over by a vehicle and born by premature c-section,  and can make it through that,  I guess nothing holds any fear! 

You'll have to be careful though because kittens' fearlessness can get them into trouble! 

He is a beautiful little guy and it is so nice to see him so big and strong.   
Yet again - These latest photos are fab'.    Mmmm, tough little fellow He looks so cheeky and inquisitive.  
   I second the risks of being fearless - I've had some really 'good' vet bills over the last 2 1/2 years! 
  They're worth all the worry of course. Lovely to see him growing.

fosteremily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the worst news I could possibly post. I had to take Kit to the animal ER this evening and he was put down.
I left him home for the first time while I went to work. It was a short shift and I assumed he would be okay. He was fine when I left.
I came home and he didn't come when I called him but he did call for me with a whimper. He was in the corner on his side. His eyes were clouded over and his breathing was shallow. I don't know if he got into something (though I made sure to check for anything that could be out before I left)
I rushed him to the ER but the vet said it would be best to let him go peacefully. The symptoms were either that of toxemia or a head Injury. Under further investigation I noticed a pile of photo albums knocked over close to where I found him. I think his adventurous side may have gotten the best of him. I have never been so upset. The vets and techs were very nice but I sat in my car crying for God knows how long.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh God, ((((Emily)))),  what a shock and  how awful.  

I never even met him in real life but I feel so sad .   and I can only imagine how devastated you must feel.  

I am so, so sorry.   I can't even begin to express it.   He was such a spunky little guy ,  you  did so much  to  keep the miracle kitten alive and well,    and we were all so much looking forward to watching him grow up.   

Well ,  he sure got a lot of adventure out of his life here.   Not every cat can say they have climbed a goat!   ....and because of you  and your family,  he knew SO much love in that short life on earth.   You did a wonderful thing by giving him that time. 

Goodbye dear sweet little angel Kit.    Now you can see your Mama Cat and see Sister ...  and some day will be reunited with your humans.  

Please feel free to if you would like to post a tribute thread in the Crossing the Bridge section    http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge       to this special boy.    

and this thread will always stay as its own tribute to him and to your love. 

I'm totally sitting here crying my eyes out  ... and I'm sure I will not be the only one of those of us who have followed his story. 

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.