Prednisolone

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Grayson has been on 0.5 ml every other day for about 3 yrs for stomastitis. Last July I got I thought all his teeth pulled but they left the bottom two canines in because he was getting too cold. So I want to get him off this medicine but don’t know how to wean slowly after this long. Anyone with this experience ? I could use some advice. Thank you

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You definitely need to wean him off it slowly. This is something, IMHO, that you should discuss with your Vet. Just as an aside, did getting his teeth pulled work? Or do you know since he's still on the Pred?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes it did work! The two teeth that are still there are a little red around them but his whole mouth is better he’s happy and eating more playing more and I can rub his face and he doesn’t cry out. I’m sure he’s happy!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes it did work! The two teeth that are still there are a little red around them but his whole mouth is better he’s happy and eating more playing more and I can rub his face and he doesn’t cry out. I’m sure he’s happy!
That's wonderful :clap:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, it takes time to wean them off prednisone, which is a steroid.

One of my cats had to be on it, and it took like a couple months to wean him off. Smaller and smaller pills, then more and more days between.

(Same deal with people, too.)

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has been on and off it because he has chronic skin allergy flare ups. You can ask your vet what they recommend for titration, but ours usually told us to give something like 1 whole pill for 2 weeks, then 1/2 pill for 2 weeks, 1/2 pill every other day for 2 weeks, etc.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tapering prednisone is not something to take lightly, it definitely needs professional advice.