Prednisolone not available??

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has prescribed Dexamethasone and other steroids for my cats at different times instead of pred.

jill-e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll look into the compounding pharmacies too. One I've used is Monument http://www.monumentpharmacy.com/. Don't know if they can make the prednisolone, but I'll call to ask tomorrow.

I'm afraid I'll run out of the current 30 tablets I got at the vet school pharmacy today, before they become available again. I was paying $4 at Target for a Qt. of 30 5mgs. I paid $5.75 today at the vet school for the same and had to drive an hour each way to acquire them. I could have had them mailed, but then I wouldn't get them until next week and my girls needed some today. So I made the drive.

jill-e

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many compounding pharmacies seem to be able to make prednisolone. So when I run out, I'll go that route if I can't find it anywhere else. Yes, it's more expensive this way, but not as bad as some quotes I was getting from some of the local pharmacies on the liquid form. I checked around on the web for some compounding pharmacies and some are strictly for pet meds., but also ask your vet who they recommend. I use an in-state one that's got pretty good pricing and I get what I need pretty quickly, often in 2 days, at little to no shipping cost. Generally the shipping is around $5.

pattid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Prednisolone became available at drs. Foster and smith online. Just ordered 60 tabs. I will say my cat likes and does better on the liquid form but I ordered some pills to alternate with because they are much cheaper and incase the doctor runs out. Good luck everyone.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally lucked out. My vet managed to score 200 tabs for me and we're hoping the shortage will lift by the time I run out of those. I think she gave me the last of what she had. I would've given her a big hug if I were the hugging type.

spunkys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My can also needs to prednisolone and my vet only has the liquid available. My cat seems to" foam out" more then she actually gets into her system. I have also been searching for the 5 mg tablets for her also and no one seemed to have it.

Well, today I found that it is now called Prednis Tab (prednisolone) 5 mg tablet and was able to find a distributor in my area. The name of the company is Patterson Veterinary Supply. There is a local office in my area. If you go to their website, it lists where other offices are located nationwide. The site says they only sell to veterinary offices but, as most of us with pets that need this medicine for their medical conditions, I'm pretty sure that your Vet would order this medicine for your pet for you also. Hope this helps those of you that have been searching for this medicine. I was thinking that perhaps the patent ran out on this medicine and we had to wait for it to be made by other companies, IDK? Just happy to have some coming to me.

deanna mackney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been on a very low dose prednisalone for over 2 years and has done very well and he has to be on it for the rest of his life. Tablets are not available. I purchase it as a compound medication in liquid form from my local pharmacy that works with an outside compound pharmacy and usually cost me about $40 a month. He has been doing very well on it with no side affects. 

lillymo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you googled Prednisolone? I just looked it up and clicked on "shopping." Several online pet pharmacies popped up with prices as low as 15¢ per 5mg tablet. 

Another option might be to call another vet. When there was a Prednisolone shortage in 2013 and the standard pharmacy price was $499 for 60 tablets, I called another veterinarian and they had it for a reasonable price. Because they could only dispense medication for cats they had examined (California state law) I had to make an appointment. The exam added to the cost, but the prescription they gave me included 2 additional refills. When I made the appointment, I was clear that I wasn't looking to switch vets, I just needed the medication, they were totally understanding. My vet was helpful too and faxed over my cat's medical records so no additional testing beyond a basic exam was be necessary.

Glad to hear your cat is doing well. Prednisolone has literally been a life saver for mine! 

here's the results of my google search:

https://www.google.com/?client=safari#q=prednisolone&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p&tbm=shop