Prednisolone looks different??

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friends,

Long story short so I don't bore you. My Ruby is on Prednisolone for asthma. She takes a low dose [half of a 5mg pill every second day], and is tolerating it well. She had a vet appointment yesterday for a one year check up and after discussing side effects and other treatment options, we kept her on the same dose, and will watch for any adverse side effects.

Here is my question. The tablets she was on before were about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter, and white, with a clear scoring down the middle. Yesterday, when I got her pills, I didn't look at them until I got them home, and opened them up. They're much smaller and blue, with no markings or scoring. Of course, the vet is closed until Monday, so I can't ask them if it's normal for the pills to look so different.

Has anyone else experienced this? I gave her a half of one last night as the vet put her on a daily regiment for a week to clear up her lungs, and she seems fine today.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven’t seen that with pred but have had other drugs change - the methimazole tablets I got last time were slightly larger and had a harder coating than the previous batch. My guess is suppliers may change and the pills may be different depending on the supplier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charley_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven’t seen that with pred but have had other drugs change - the methimazole tablets I got last time were slightly larger and had a harder coating than the previous batch. My guess is suppliers may change and the pills may be different depending on the supplier.
I'm guessing the same thing, I know there's so many shortages and things. I'm still going to call Monday to double check, but it's nice to know it can happen.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What are the markings/numbers/etc., if any, on the two different pills?

EDIT: Were these compounded pills? I just did a search on the typical prednisolone pills (not compounded ones) and there were NO blue pills. Strongly suggest you do not give them to your cat until you can confirm that hasn't been an error made.

Anytime you receive a med that doesn't look like it did before, and you weren't advised of or expecting a change, always double-check with the vet what it is that you have gotten. Mistakes are made all the time.

Last edited: