Prednisolone for lymphoma, need advice

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chalupa my cat has large granular lymphoma. She has been taking 5 mg prednisolone once a day since 4/17. She is about 9 lbs. i have about a week supply of pred. Left. Should I get bloodwork done on her to make sure she has not developed diabetes or kidney issues? Should she stay On the pred at this dose, seems ok so far, not great but better than before. I have to ask my vet for everything so need advice. Also my cat begs to go outside do she can lick the concrete and rusty sewer lid, I try not to let her, but she does likes to step outside which I understand. Got her a b12 and iron injection but didn't seem to help. Vet told me a friend of hers told her about cats claw, anyone tried this? Also, are raw brands like Stella and chewys and primal really better than good quality grain free canned? Was reading about the. Raw causing high blood pressure or something. How long can chalupa take the pred at this dose?

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
5mg is still pretty low dosage, and it's still in short term usage. Not that diabetes can't develop even with low dosage/short term use, but given the lymphoma, I wouldn't worry so much about the side effects. It is impossible to say how long she can be on it safely, but there are cats who have been taking low doses of steroids for years. Is pred the only method of treatment available?

The signs of anemia are a little concerning. Do you know what her RBC is?

By the way, I have never heard of raw causing high blood pressure in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry do not know what are rbc is how Do I find out? My vet does not think chemo is worth it because she is older and this type of cancer does not respond to chemo much. The pathogen free raw, something about how they guarantee that, high pressure pasteurization or hpp just want to give her best food. I kind of want to try another drug for her but maybe the least expensive chemo option since chances are slim it will work. I have a pretty low income and just spent 5000 on her this year with surgery, tests, been through a lot figuring what was wrong.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you by the way for the pred info, I worry a lot, please tell me about rbc thanks again wish you best

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RBC is red blood cell count. A simple blood test can determine anemia. Cats with anemia will often eat litter, soil, clay, rusty things. Anemia is a side effect of an underlying issue, which in Chalupa is probably the lymphoma. :(

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks so I can just go to vet and ask for simple blood test and then can it be treated when it's caused by lymphoma? We already tried b 12 and iron injection this week on Monday night, next day she still ran out went straight for licking concrete, I stopped her of course. Her gums, nose, looked pale but pinkness on way to vet, her tongue is still pink. A vet tech did the injections but my dr took a peak at her and said for him to tell me she looks good. So just want to know if there is another way to treat anemia if that's what it is, besides transfusion. And is there a way to find out what type of anemia it is...

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The blood test will tell you if she has anemia and how bad it is. Transfusion is generally only needed with really bad cases. As to why she has anemia and how to treat it and the underlying cause, those are questions you really need to address with your vet after the test results are back. It sounds like your vet does suspect anemia even without a test hence the b12 and iron injections. If they did not work though, different measures may be called for. The test will tell you how bad the anemia is.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you very much, really appreciate it. I will try to get the vet to see her, although seems like my dr wouldn't know what else to do besides the vitamin injections.
Is it possible the cats licking pavement and sewer lid is territorial? There is a stray cat that comes around, but it's afraid of people and my cat wants to chase him away so bad when we see him outside from inside.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If Chalupa is still lethargic and not interested in eating, drinking or doing anything other than hide, should I ask about raising the pred dose if she's not feeling better in a week? Or should I just leave her be until maybe she comes back around? If she doesn't maybe that means it's time?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take one day at a time and listen to what she's telling you.  You can't project how she will feel.  If steroids are helping but the oral are not strong enough, there is always the long-acting depomedrol injection the vet can give her, and there are appetite stimulants too, although I don't remember what they are as it has been a long time since I've needed them for any of my cats.  I do know that cats tolerate steroids much better than dogs or people, and even if she did get diabetes, it's manageable and they can live for years with just daily insulin shots, just like people can.  The lymphoma is her main problem.  I've seen that go into remission for years also, you just never know.  Just watch her quality of life and if it doesn't improve, then I would suggest choosing quality over quantity and not putting her through a lot more if simple remedies don't help her feel better. 

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The diabetes, kidney issues risk is what scares me about the pred. It's me who can't handle doing daily injections. Tried mirtazepine appetite stimulants before pred, didn't work at all. Just want to try to get this back into being happy to be outside or even look around instead of wanting to hide and looking at the ground half awake or asleep all the time. She was doing much better than last week but seems like maybe anemia took it's hold on her by the end of the week. Desperate to help her feel better. She actually gained weight this week oddly enough, been syringe feeding baby food. Started eating only dry yesterday , not too happy it's dry because of constipation issues but anything is good I guess. Thanks a lot for your message, will look into this depomedrol med.