Prednisolone for IBD kitty

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try moving the needle around slightly. You can monitor the flow by looking at the at the drip chamber (the clear part just at the top of the iv line). The slightest movement of the needle can make all the difference sometimes.

Also, putting the cat in a box helps. Or having a second person hold the cat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think we did so many things wrong. The lady that was doing it for me has not done this in years and I was making her nervous because I was in a panic the whole time. I also think I was rushing her to get it over with. It was not a slow and calm experience for any of us. How long should it take to get 100cc in her? I wanted it to be over with so I rushed my friend to get the fluid in and over with. Does it hurt if it's done to fast?

I suffer from anxiety and it was me who made the whole experience go so bad. I was only holding Peaches, my friend was doing everything else. Peaches does much better at the vet office.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Peaches is still having hard stools so we might end up back at the vet anyway.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It was a nightmare giving fluids to Peaches. I was wondering if it's normal to have big bags of fluid like humans have at a hospital. The video it shows little bags and made it seem so much easier. Peaches cried the whole time and it was hard to get the fluid to flow in. She ended up not getting as much as we thought . I was a nervous wreck holding her and she was crying and trying to get away.

Has anyone tried the big syringe type to give fluids like in the video? I called my vet and was told those would just be more work but it didn't look that way in the video and I have to buy them. I am so afraid to do this again, could use some advice please.
that's great that you and your friend did give peaches sub-q fluids! i would focus on the fact that peaches got some fluids, not that she didn't get the ideal amount this first time.

it might help your friend to watch dr kris' video on giving sub-q fluids. in that video he shows/talks about a couple things that can be done if the fluids aren't flowing in well/quickly. i can tell you about them, but if you're uncomfortable hearing me describe what to do then i won't post that.

something that might help you and peaches is for you to focus on calming her while your friend is doing the fluids part. i give my snick scritches on her cheeks, under her chin, and on her head while i'm giving her fluids. i also many times will sing special songs to her and give her kisses on her head. when my girl occasionally gets a bit...restless..with the process, i'll say something to her like "easy, easy, just relax, we're almost finished, that's mommy's good girl" in a calm soothing voice.

after i'd given my snick fluids several times, we started getting used to a routine of giving the fluids and snick became much more relaxed while getting them. and i think it's true that after cats have been given fluids a few times and feel better after getting them, they start to associate getting the fluids with feeling better.

Last edited: