Prebiotics query

Haifa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, does anyone know the daily limit of prebiotic intake ? My cats dry food already contains prebiotics,however, I’d like to add some probiotic chews (which also contain prebiotics).
thanks

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The closest info on prebiotic dosing for cats that I’ve found was in a study on the effect of FOS on the bacteria found in their poop. In the study, the cats and dogs were fed a diet containing 4% FOS. Activation of butyrate-producing bacteria as well as bifidobacteria in the cat intestinal microbiota by the administration of 1-kestose, the smallest component of fructo-oligosaccharide

It doesn’t state whether or not that amount is an upper limit for the prebiotic but it’s at least something. I too would like to know if anyone has found actual dosage info on prebiotics for cats that isn’t just the back of a product label.

For FOS and Psyllium husk, the human doses are about 5g per day. So I figure a cats dose would be less than that. I don’t know how much less though.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi H Haifa !

There's a fabulous website that explains everything about the feline gastrointestinal system.....it's set up in a way that 'allows' you to take a short or a longer 'course' about it, OR to just dive into specific topics. I think it should be "required reading" for anyone who's a cat guardian!

The section about "prebiotics" is here .......pay special attention to the difference between dietary and functional fibres.

Right after that, probiotics are covered........

.......and, after that I'm sure you'll be able to navigate around the rest of the site!

You said you wanted to "add some probiotic chews"........any particular reason you'd like to do that? It's certainly "trendy" these days but.........if you read carefully there, you'll see that 'playing with' or experimenting with a cat's gut bacteria can cause real problems.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'playing with' or experimenting with a cat's gut bacteria can cause real problems.
Yes, this is all too easy to do, particularly with so many various pro- and prebiotics in foods these days. This is one of the reasons I took our cats off all their commercial raw foods last summer: sorting out what's where in what quantities would have been nigh on impossible, given the cats' menu!

Instead I ended up starting the cats on Feline Gut Soothe from Adored Beast which has herbs, prebiotics, and probiotics. It's perfect for our cat who's had serious inflammation issues (even surgery) and also seems to be helping our cat who gets constipated. Adored Beast has a "plain" probiotic blend, too, Felix's Flora, which I've also heard great things about. I haven't tried that on Edwina since she definitely needs the anti-inflammatory action she gets from Feline Gut Soothe. There are plenty of other brands of reputable probiotics out there and I'd highly recommend checking the ingredients before buying to be sure you're not getting anything you don't want and don't need along with the beneficial bacteria. Many chews have stuff -- potato, maltodextrin, pea or chickpea flour, tapioca -- that I can't or won't feed our cats since one of them has sensitivities (meaning she barfs) to some of those ingredients!

Jabzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the recommendation for Adored Beast Gut Soothe. It’s fantastic and doesn’t have all of the extra crap that tends to be found in things like chews. If you’re seeking out probiotics due to concern about your cats microbiome, there’s always the Kitty Biome test by AnimalBiome too.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the recommendation for Adored Beast Gut Soothe. It’s fantastic and doesn’t have all of the extra crap that tends to be found in things like chews. If you’re seeking out probiotics due to concern about your cats microbiome, there’s always the Kitty Biome test by AnimalBiome too.
Yes, the "doesn't have all the extra crap" was one of my big reasons for buying it! It has everything I want in a supplement (our cats definitely have inflammation issues) but none of the bad stuff. I