Prebiotics for cats

ShahnazAC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I would like some advise regarding a good prebiotic and fibre supplement that can be purchased in the UK.

Currently, my 2 years old Persian cat has ongoing tummy issues since I rescued him at 9 months old. The vets suspect IBD but I am waiting for a referral to get a diagnosis but have told me to put him on a hypoallergenic diet. I have also been giving him pro-kolin enterogenic prebiotic and the pro-fibre.

Anyone know of the best kind of prebiotic and fibre I can source in the UK.

Any advise or recommendation will be much appreciated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline Natural lamb and Instinct Original venison are high in fiber,protein,and low carb also very expensive so I also give less expensive. She likes the probiotics Fortiflora and Adding a though not as much. Proviabledc many vets suggest though if has no flavoring

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Per this thread, IBD-allergy tests (post #11) Adored Beast Feline Gut Soothe is recommended by some IBD Groups, and is available in the UK. It is a pre/pro-biotic.

As far as a fiber supplement, are you looking for something like psyllium husk? That should be readily available there, I would think. What are you using now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ShahnazAC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you soo much for the adored beast feline gut Soothe recomendation, I will definitely read into this some more.

As for the fibre, i currently have been giving Protexin cat pro fibre as recommended by the vet. I'm trying to give this furry guy the best chance of getting better. I've never had a kitty with gut issues so it's soo very new to me.

Per this thread, IBD-allergy tests (post #11) Adored Beast Feline Gut Soothe is recommended by some IBD Groups, and is available in the UK. It is a pre/pro-biotic.

As far as a fiber supplement, are you looking for something like psyllium husk? That should be readily available there, I would think. What are you using now?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
is there a reason you want to change what you are currently giving? (the Protexin?) BTW, from what I can ascertain, that Protexin Fiber also contains pre and pro-biotics. So you are giving him not only that but also Pro-Kolin, which I see is made by the same company.

Have you done the food change yet? I'm guessing his issue is on going loose stools? Did he have the issue before you adopted him? Did you change his food at that time?

ShahnazAC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't want to change his fibre or prebiotics if it is the best out there for him. If there is anything better I would take it to his vet and ask if it would be something I can switch to safely. Both that he is currently on had been recommended and purchased at the regular vets. I don't know if they recommend whatever they just have at the vets or if it is truly the best product for him.

He has switched food to Purina HA, again the hypoallergenic diet had been brought up by his regular vet. He was on a wet and dry diet before but since the switch he is only on dry which I'm not too happy about.

His problem is that he kept getting bright red blood In his poop after a few months of getting him. He tested positive for Tritrichomonas feotus just afew months after I had him and the vet had given him ronidazole. After 7 or 8 days he started to act strange and walk funny. The vet told me to stop with the medication and redo a fecal test which then came back negative. They did this test twice over several weeks and both times it had come back negative. Since then he has had bouts of soft poo with streaks of blood. This is the only symptoms he displays, no vomitting, no weight loss nothing else. However, a few weeks back he had suddenly stopped eating, and was vomitying and also had diarrhoea. The vet gave omeprazole and ranitidine and on the 3rd day I took him out of hours emergency. They did a full blood test and everything came back within range they did give him an anti sickness injection and mirtazapine tablet. He was drinking and acting fine otherwise which was very scary and frustrating for me.

thankfully he is fine now byt with mushier poop, i've been confused and helpless since. So up until his referral I'm trying my best to give him the best of what he has been given already.
is there a reason you want to change what you are currently giving? (the Protexin?) BTW, from what I can ascertain, that Protexin Fiber also contains pre and pro-biotics. So you are giving him not only that but also Pro-Kolin, which I see is made by the same company.

Have you done the food change yet? I'm guessing his issue is on going loose stools? Did he have the issue before you adopted him? Did you change his food at that time?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to feeding and medicating cats, what's "best" is often very, very subjective... What works for one cat may not work at all for another. Or it might contain an ingredient that causes problems for one but nit another. Our cat with gut issues is getting started -- very, very slowly -- on Adored Beast's Feline Gut Soothe, which seems to be (I think?) starting to take effect. We had to start with just pinches after a couple various failed (due to vomiting) probiotic attempts. After several weeks of increased pinches of FGS, we've almost made it to a kitten dose. 🎉🎈

I chose FGS because it doesn't have anything extra. Some probiotics have maltodextrin, which may (?) cause stomach issues for Edwina, but FGS doesn't have that. It does have good stuff like slippery elm bark and marshmallow root, though. All that said, Edwina's a vomiter so your cat's symptoms may call for something a little different. In the end, my main suggestion is this: No matter what you consider and choose, look carefully at every ingredient to make sure it has a therapeutic value and isn't just a thickener or filler that might cause side effects.
Good luck!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I understand what you are doing, just looking for the best. Here's hoping the new food helps :crossfingers:. I just don't understand why Purina makes that HA food in canned for dogs, but not for cats :sigh:. Makes no sense to me.

ShahnazAC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When it comes to feeding and medicating cats, what's "best" is often very, very subjective... What works for one cat may not work at all for another. Or it might contain an ingredient that causes problems for one but nit another. Our cat with gut issues is getting started -- very, very slowly -- on Adored Beast's Feline Gut Soothe, which seems to be (I think?) starting to take effect. We had to start with just pinches after a couple various failed (due to vomiting) probiotic attempts. After several weeks of increased pinches of FGS, we've almost made it to a kitten dose. 🎉🎈

I chose FGS because it doesn't have anything extra. Some probiotics have maltodextrin, which may (?) cause stomach issues for Edwina, but FGS doesn't have that. It does have good stuff like slippery elm bark and marshmallow root, though. All that said, Edwina's a vomiter so your cat's symptoms may call for something a little different. In the end, my main suggestion is this: No matter what you consider and choose, look carefully at every ingredient to make sure it has a therapeutic value and isn't just a thickener or filler that might cause side effects.
Good luck!
Thank you, Your right about that what's best is subjective. I feel like I'm in a whirlwind of possibilities and ingredients that could be a trigger. I'm just on edge knowing months are going by and at times I'm convinced his getting better only for it to go back to square one.

I will definitely ask my vet if the FGS is something that my cat can take as it doesn't have anything sinister.

ShahnazAC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, I understand what you are doing, just looking for the best. Here's hoping the new food helps :crossfingers:. I just don't understand why Purina makes that HA food in canned for dogs, but not for cats :sigh:. Makes no sense to me.
Beyond me why they dont make wet cat HA food. I had initially been told to try hills digestive care and he wouldn't touch the food even when I was introducing it all soo slowly. Literally I started by smearing my index finger in the gravy and wiping it on his food bowl with his normal food and he refused to eat it.

He does enjoy the Purina HA oddly enough but they don't have a wet variety.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Your right about that what's best is subjective. I feel like I'm in a whirlwind of possibilities and ingredients that could be a trigger. I'm just on edge knowing months are going by and at times I'm convinced his getting better only for it to go back to square one.

I will definitely ask my vet if the FGS is something that my cat can take as it doesn't have anything sinister.
I know, it's really hard when something doesn't help like you think of hope it will. We've been through that many times, too. "On edge" sums things up well.

FGS is intended to deal with inflammation, which is another reason I chose it.