Pre Labor?

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So shes pregnant, and I think shes like 8-9 weeks. She's going into places she never goes into- like the bed I bought for her, or my closet. Recently shes been trying to get under the covers with me and she is grooming alot but its not only in her lower belly area its everywhere lol This isnt the first time she has had kittens, but last time i never saw any milk being produced before they were born/ mucus plug/ her water breaking. So what are some more subtle signs I can look for to indicate its pre labor? Alright thanks for reading/responding ❤ -also p.s. last time she had kittens the dad cat was with her the whole time and he was a sweetheart- normally he never meows- but recently he has been meowing non stop and wont leave her side so is that another way to tell if shes in pre labor? Or is it unrelated

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have an average gestation length of 64 days, so she should be getting close! It sounds like she’s showing some nesting behavior, so I would recommend getting her nesting box set up, filled with some old (but clean!) towels that you wouldn’t mind throwing away afterwards. Being extra affectionate/wanting to be near you is another sign that she’s close to delivery (usually within a few days). This article has some more info: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

This article lists what you need for the birth itself: Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your male cat been neutered yet? If not, he could be confusing pregnancy hormones with her being in heat. You will also need to keep them separated as soon as she gives birth. She could get pregnant again within a week of delivery.

Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats have an average gestation length of 64 days, so she should be getting close! It sounds like she’s showing some nesting behavior, so I would recommend getting her nesting box set up, filled with some old (but clean!) towels that you wouldn’t mind throwing away afterwards. Being extra affectionate/wanting to be near you is another sign that she’s close to delivery (usually within a few days). This article has some more info: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

This article lists what you need for the birth itself: Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth
Thank you so so much ❤

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes getting slightly mean. I was petting her then out of nowhere she bit me, (really hard lol she actually drew blood) then ran off to hide under the table then continued to growl for 10 minutes before she fell asleep. I'm not really worried about her biting me Im just wondering if thats normal for pregnant cats? I've read that they are normally sweet and affectionate when they are pregnant so am I doing something to piss her off? I didnt pet her rough, and she was purring not even ten seconds before she bit me Thank you for reading, and replying.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some get more aggressive and defensive!

It may be she has some pains. But such touchiness goes mostly against other cats and dogs not their humans.

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some get more aggressive and defensive!

It may be she has some pains. But such touchiness goes mostly against other cats and dogs not their humans.
Is there anything I can do to help her with those pains?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really, just keep things quiet and calm, she does NOT need more stress. She could be having prelabour and you petting her may have upset her because she was in pain. She may be hyper sensitive and extra edgy right now with the flood of hormones that is coursing through her. So just talk soothingly to her and let her do any approaching. Just be there if she wants you to be. If your presence upsets her, observe her from afar. Just like any pregnant female, they are unpredictable and moody!
PS once you see active labour, blood, visible clenching of her abdomen, a lot of licking, if she goes for longer then an hour, call your vet.

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay :) thank you guys so much for responding

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her stomach is really hard and Ive seen posts about that saying her kittens are dropping? Is that true?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Her stomach is really hard and Ive seen posts about that saying her kittens are dropping? Is that true?
Her kittens might have moved into the birth canal. They could be coming quite soon. Please keep us updated!

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had 1 she was in labor for 2 minutes it was barely enough time for me to get the towels down lol

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats in labor and she had one, but the second ones head has been visable for a while and it isnt coming out what do i do

Santa-Claws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you tell if shes done giving birth?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is nr 2? I was going to write this is an emergency rush her in to a good vet.
But I understand the problem has solved itself. Puh!

It is sometimes difficult to see if she is done. Esp as they are often swollen in uterus, so it seems as they have one left. We had even forumists whom swore the stomach moved - but later on we understood it was gases...

If she is OK, no visible troubles, she is happily busying herself with the already delivered kittens, you do observe, but can wait and see.

IF there are visible troubles, you contact your vet, and be prepared to rush her in...

This advice even if you KNOW for sure there is someone left inside. S Santa-Claws

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you arent verry careful, these white may turn into points "siamese-mixes", probably seal points. You will see in about one week if theyir faces and ears begin to darken up...
Unless she or the daddy are white for real, of course. :) Then some kittens will be white too.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gald everything turned out, mother nature is wonderful! She is so lucky to have you.
As long as she is acting calm and taking care of kittens, everything is normal, if she is nervous and in distress she either is not done or something is wrong. So just take your que from her, Keep things quiet, and calm. Congratulations!