Prayers/Vibes/Rays For Sadie!

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As usual, when things start going well for us something happens. Sadie started showing signs of IVDD on Friday. She'd yelp when I'd pick her up, she'll stand with her back legs very far behind her, then drag her feet for a step before walking normally and is having trouble getting her back arched up to poop properly. This will be her 3rd or 4th IVDD flare up since she was just over one (she'll be 5 at the end of the week).

Thankfully, she hasn't gone down yet. She's not paralyzed at all, she can still walk, there's just something going on with her back. We have a vet appointment in a few hours for her, I'm just hoping that we get our regular vet and not one of the other ones that work there. Our vet is very straight forward and will tell you things like they are, the rest... they tend to sugar coat things and steer you towards treatments that most likely won't work.

We made the decision quite some time ago that when she goes down we will not be doing the surgery. We will follow crate rest with meds, do water therapy, chiropractics and possible acupuncture, but that is it. If that doesn't help her, then she'll be a happy little cart dog for the rest of her life.

We started her on crate rest ourselves on Friday night (this all happened after the vet was closed for the day), and I've received from flak from people that don't live here about not taking her to the emergency vet. Our emergency vet is horrible, extremely expensive and most times will just tell you to wait until your regular vet is open. I decided to save the $100 for the office visit with them so that we could get more things done at our regular vet. She has only been out of her crate to go to the washroom, then she goes right back in. It will continue like this for 8 weeks, poor little girl.

She needs your prayers/vibes/rays that she'll be fine with crate rest and won't need a cart yet. I need them that we'll get our regular vet and if not, that they will do exactly what I ask them to do - xrays, steriods/NSAIDs and crate rest.

Thanks everyone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sadie's doing great! Sorry for not updating sooner, but I was working overnights and things have been hectic.

I'll update more when I get home from work tonight (back on regular shifts!).