Potty training for older cat?

smg680

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family has several feral cats who live in my dad's garage. Some of them have become permanent members of the family after our first cat Ambre passed away. My dad and I are still in the process of getting them fixed, since we used to have around 15 total cats. We have three kittens, Sassy, Shadow, and Pretty Kitty, who live in the house 24/7. We also have two adult cats, who actually adopted us. Little Mama was one of the first cats we had fixed after she had two litters of kittens. We also had her (I want to say) mate Bob fixed a while ago, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that Little Mama has been peeing outside of the litter box. And she pees in the laundry room. Thankfully, it never happened on the clothes, but rather on the pile of plastic bags that we use to collect trash. This is the second time this has happened. I also found a large poop outside the litter box in our living room. These were easily cleaned up, but my mom and I agree that Little Mama will be in the breezeway for a while. There are two litterboxes in the breezeway, and there are litterboxes in the basement. The basement door is only closed when I put Sassy, Shadow, and Pretty Kitty down there when we're cooking or unloading the car, or if one of them needs a timeout. I also put Bob and Mama in the breezeway so we don't trip over the cats as we go in and out.

Should Little Mama be litter trained? She is older than the kittens, but could something be wrong with her? From what I remembered from when she lived in my dad's garage, she used the litterbox, and I thought she did a good job when she used the litterboxes in the breezeway.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Little Mama was using the litter boxes better than she is now, I tend to agree that she should be looked at medically. If her move to another home has been more recent, that could be causing an issue as well. Are you using the same litter box set up that your dad had in his garage?

Is she only having issues when she is not using the boxes in the breezeway?