potty training, anyone?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are doing the potty training thing now...

My daughter started out wanting to tee tee on the potty before she was 2- and we are just now getting it down, at 3 yrs, 3 months. I used m & ms (1 for tee tee, 2 for poopy) and had a treat bag with small "rewards" in it (books from the consignment sale, small beanie babies, dollar tree stuff) for when she went poopy on the potty (this is what she didn't want to do). She also has a calendar for her stars, and if she got a star everyday for a week, she could get a video from the library. When she turned 3, I knew she could do it, she just didn't want to. So I told her "You're big enough, Dr. Hale said you could do it- here are your big girl panties. Don't wet them!" and used pull ups for nap and nighttime. Of course, that was when she went poopy
. So, no pull up for naptime. Fortunately for us, she hates wetting her pants, and will try to clean it up before we get there
, so only a few accidents after the first week or so. She's also getting the hang of pooping on the potty (only 2 big girl panty accidents
)-she realized that she liked getting the toys out of the bag, and we made it a BIG DEAL when she did ("Daddy is going to be so proud of you!!! Wanna call him?"- stuff like that
).

When she does have an accident, I make it her "problem" (to the extent than one can with a 3 year old
)-she has to take off her pants and put them in the dirty clothes (or on the washer, etc.), she has to help clean it up... no more getting to get on the changing table and make faces at herself in the mirror
, no more mommy fussing over her when she has an accident- all business. This is what seems to have helped the most with my stubborn little girl
. If she wants some mommy time, then she has to do something else- ask to be read to, be played with, rock in the rocking chair... not mess up her big girl pants.

Oh, and when she is "potty trained" (2 weeks, no accidents) she gets a Betta fish in a pink fishbowl (bought the bowl as a reminder
).

Potty training - ARRGGGHHHH!

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

I am a big believer in doing just that, I think it helps to know that if they pee in their pants, then they are wet.
totally..the pullups are so absorbant nowadays that they don't even care that they peed in it.

I had to let her pee her bed at night instead of the pullups because my daughter is SO rash prone, it's not funny..one bubble bath and she has a yeast infection. So I would take her pee before she went to bed, before I went to bed, I would wake up at 3am, take her pee...it got really old but sometimes when I would sleep through the 3am one, she would wake up and tell me she wet her bed and i could change her and she wouldn't lay in a wet pullup and get a rash.
Pros and cons to everything but now that she is 6, she just sleeps too soundly to wake up so sometimes we wear the goodnights and if she gets up and pees, I make a BIG deal. I still take her before I go to bed but not in the middle of the night anymore.

Originally Posted by catsallover

When she does have an accident, I make it her "problem" (to the extent than one can with a 3 year old
)-she has to take off her pants and put them in the dirty clothes (or on the washer, etc.),
I do that too...make her take it off and put it in the hamper or on the pile ready to go into the washer. I don't make her clean it up though, it usually involved her bed and she likes cleaning too much
But she hates that wet feeling and taking off her panties.

Anyways, I'm tired and babbling but potty training can be hard or real easy..if it's hard, hang in there! I've been there!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

Two and three year olds are very smart, all potty training takes is consistancy and time.
I agree 100%
Mine were all 2 when they were pottytrained.